Box_of_Hats

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 2 Your Character

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 19:34

Another option to address Heroic Ability imbalance would be to adjust advancement by adding another unit of experience (for the sake of argument, called Ability Points). If you gained one Ability Point per session, characters started with 4 AP, and each Heroic Ability cost on average 5 AP, then the current rate of advancement is the same. At that point, weaker Heroic Abilities could cost fewer points and stronger ones could cost more. Then the imbalance issues between abilities is instead around costing them instead of needing every ability to be exactly the same power level.

Short Fey

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 19:36

Another option to address Heroic Ability imbalance would be to adjust advancement by adding another unit of experience (for the sake of argument, called Ability Points). If you gained one Ability Point per session, characters started with 4 AP, and each Heroic Ability cost on average 5 AP, then the current rate of advancement is the same. At that point, weaker Heroic Abilities could cost fewer points and stronger ones could cost more. Then the imbalance issues between abilities is instead around costing them instead of needing every ability to be exactly the same power level.
Or alternatively, you can't pick certain Heroic Abilities unless you have specific skills up to a certain amount (like say Marksmanship 15).
Or a ranking system that makes it you can initially only pick rank 1 heroic abilities, and when you have a certain number of them, you can pick rank 2, and so on.
Beware the fey!

BrotherForge

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 01:27

Why is Mariner a Profession in this book?

Maybe it's just me but considering the starting setting is a place called the Misty Valley it doesn't seem like a place where you would find a lot of Sea or Water Based Professionals unless there's a couple large rivers or lakes. Mariner feels like it would be something that would fit better in a module that's set near the Coast.

Mariner, Merchant and Scholar don't feel like they fit properly in an adventuring setting. They feel more like backgrounds jobs rather then classes. Though in the Scholar's case it might just be easily solved by changing it's name to Archaeologist.

Not sure what to do about the other two jobs.

zcthu3

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 05:36

Mariner, Merchant and Scholar don't feel like they fit properly in an adventuring setting. They feel more like backgrounds jobs rather then classes. Though in the Scholar's case it might just be easily solved by changing it's name to Archaeologist.

I think that’s the point - Professions are background jobs, they’re not classes. They are what the PC did before they became an adventurer and therefore set starting skills and (in the current version of the Beta) the starting Professional (heroic) Abilities. Once the campaign starts, all bets are off and you can advance any skill and master multiple Heroic Abilities.

JohnWithAgun

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 11:48

I think that’s the point - Professions are background jobs, they’re not classes. They are what the PC did before they became an adventurer and therefore set starting skills and (in the current version of the Beta) the starting Professional (heroic) Abilities. Once the campaign starts, all bets are off and you can advance any skill and master multiple Heroic Abilities.
this also comes with the risk of the heroes becoming even more similar :S

My feedback on professions.
Less is more, the only ones with things going is the mage and carpenter where there is more to it then a starting heroic ability.
I think a forbidden lands approach where you have at least 3 unique abilities is needed, starting with one.

Warrior(knight, fighter and smith)
Rogue(thief, bard and hunter),
Mage (3 sub types here)
Explorer (sailor, merchant and scholar)

Spat

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 17:58

p.10, Human « Still more are adventures » : adventurers.
p.12, Mallard Ill-Tempered : not clear if the ability 2nd allows you to get Angry + a boon, or just get Angry.
p.26, Damage Bonus : The table states « +T4 », instead of +D4.

Vatrachos

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 00:44

I have a feeling that if characters gain a Heroic Ability every five sessions, my group will have a dozen Heroic Abilities in no time (we play weekly, planning on an ongoing campaign). I like what was suggested above about Ability Points (similar to "Hjältepoäng" in older editions), but would love to see other potential uses of these points other than purchasing new abilities.

zcthu3

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 01:10

I have a feeling that if characters gain a Heroic Ability every five sessions, my group will have a dozen Heroic Abilities in no time (we play weekly, planning on an ongoing campaign). I like what was suggested above about Ability Points (similar to "Hjältepoäng" in older editions), but would love to see other potential uses of these points other than purchasing new abilities.
That’s why I just suggested using the Advancement Points - you can spend them on (attempting to) increasing skills or on buying abilities. It works for Talents and Skills in other FL games and I’m not sure why the different system here (I also note that other BRP-derived games that use Advancement Rolls e.g. Mythras, MRQ2, also have special abilities (spells / powers) cost a certain number of advancement rolls so it’s been done before)

Rasczak76

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 09:48

Willpower points seem very limiting for fighter types. Why not have willpower points be a combination of constitution willpower /2. Call it something different but give warrior types the ability to focus without handicapping themselves on boosting willpower stat. I know I am thinking 6 stats like D&D but it is a similar idea. Or give active skills for of a stamina point cost and magical/cerebral type skills a WP cost.

JohnWithAgun

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 10:08

Not to mention how their skills would look like. All the "generally" good skills(attack, dodge, spot and bush-craft) would likely also be high/capped across the board.