Warhippo

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 7 Bestiary

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 17:16

Diminutive Bestiary.

I think for me the biggest disappointment in the core rules (arguably the only one) is the diminutive size of the bestiary. I would have expected at least another dozen or so monsters. No zombies, ogres, elementals, golems, werewolves, etc? Admittedly, elementals are partially covered in the magic section but not in enough detail. A real shame for me. Sure, I can write them up myself but a dozen more monsters with maybe half a dozen more pictures would be about right. Also, a page for Demons and a page for Dragons is hardly sufficient for such core monsters. Two pages a-piece, covering lesser and greater variants would surely be a sensible inclusion.

wylie

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 02:50

Is it possible to give monsters a blank skill rank if they do not possess that skill per se, or a rule stating if the monster does not have a skill cannot resist the attack/ spell cast upon it.
I was watching an Actual Play of Riddermound, and in it the mage cast pillar under the death knight, pinning him automatically because he did not have mobility skill.
It made me think about monsters either needing a skill, or rule saying they cannot resist.
Or immunity to certain attacks/ spells.

Logen_Nein

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 03:43

P. 83, MONSTER ATTACKS
A monster always uses a monster attack when it attacks. Each monster has a unique set of monster attacks, which are summarized in a table. The GM rolls or chooses an attack from this table when it is the monster’s turn to attack. Monsters never roll dice to hit their target – monster attacks succeed automatically.

It's not a typo per se, but it's unanimous in my group of 6 (including me) that we all hate this rule about monster attacks hitting automatically. This is not a standard in any other BRP game that I am aware of.

This isn't even something in Symbaroum, which is also a roll under (players always roll to avoid an attack), nor in Forbidden Lands. Anyhow, I hope you all change it. I'm still supporting the game, but I don't think my group will want to play it without some house rule.
Have you tested it? I've found it speeds up things greatly and makes the need for taking defensive actions both obvious and tactical in a fun way. It's particularly fun with the limited action economy which I hope stays.

Side note why mention it not being standard in a BRP game (which this isn't that I know of)?

CEBedford

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 06:01

Diminutive Bestiary.

I think for me the biggest disappointment in the core rules (arguably the only one) is the diminutive size of the bestiary. I would have expected at least another dozen or so monsters. No zombies, ogres, elementals, golems, werewolves, etc? Admittedly, elementals are partially covered in the magic section but not in enough detail. A real shame for me. Sure, I can write them up myself but a dozen more monsters with maybe half a dozen more pictures would be about right. Also, a page for Demons and a page for Dragons is hardly sufficient for such core monsters. Two pages a-piece, covering lesser and greater variants would surely be a sensible inclusion.
Same honestly. Though I’m glad it’s fully illustrated. At least if I write up my own versions of some Vaesen for Dragonbane I still have some kickass Johan Egerkrans art to show off at the table too. Hell, I’d love to see a document that converts a bunch of the Vaesen to this game.
- Hoodie Infestation

zcthu3

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 09:31

Diminutive Bestiary.

Same honestly. Though I’m glad it’s fully illustrated. At least if I write up my own versions of some Vaesen for Dragonbane I still have some kickass Johan Egerkrans art to show off at the table too. Hell, I’d love to see a document that converts a bunch of the Vaesen to this game.
Personally I’d love to see a document for converting Forbidden Lands monsters; there’s a whole bunch of genre appropriate monsters (particularly with the bestiary due soon) which, while they don’t have the Johan Egerkrans art, already have the random attack tables. Just need to work out damage ratings for attacks, hit points etc.

Warhippo

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 10:31

P93 Manticore

The description doesn’t include the manticore’s wings and I’m guessing, since the stats don’t mention it, that manticores in DB are unable to fly. Also, the “swollen lump” at the end of the tail is (usually) a akin to a scorpion’s tail and is filled with a terrible venom. I presume that this isn’t the case in DB.

Short Fey

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 11:06

Is it possible to give monsters a blank skill rank if they do not possess that skill per se, or a rule stating if the monster does not have a skill cannot resist the attack/ spell cast upon it.
I was watching an Actual Play of Riddermound, and in it the mage cast pillar under the death knight, pinning him automatically because he did not have mobility skill.
It made me think about monsters either needing a skill, or rule saying they cannot resist.
Or immunity to certain attacks/ spells.
Perhaps there could be an "Skill value" on the creatures? If a certain skill isn't listed, then if a monster needs to make a roll, you use this stat instead. This means you wouldn't need to list every skill on the Monster except for the ones it is good at and potentially the ones they are bad at (if you want to give it a particular weakness it could be lower than the "Skill value")
Beware the fey!

Warhippo

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 11:31

P. 83, MONSTER ATTACKS
A monster always uses a monster attack when it attacks. Each monster has a unique set of monster attacks, which are summarized in a table. The GM rolls or chooses an attack from this table when it is the monster’s turn to attack. Monsters never roll dice to hit their target – monster attacks succeed automatically.
I understand where you’re coming from here though I like this sort of method of handling monster attacks. As has been mentioned, it speeds up the process of combat which can become needlessly bogged down with details. There are quite a few other game system which employ this methodology (eg Dungeon Word and other Apocalypse World settings). I think it’s best to think of it less that monsters hit automatically but rather that the monsters will hit automatically UNLESS the PC does something to stop it (eg dodge, parry, Heroic Ability, spell and so on).

Then there are other RPG systems which don’t have monster attacks but rather have player defence rolls. Much the same thing. So DB taking adopting this route isn’t particularly unusual if you’ve played a range of gaming systems.

Saying that, I’m always in two minds when a system removes dice rolling from the GM (ie me). I like rolling dice and, without wanting to start a debate, I enjoy the flexibility of being able to fudge my dice rolls upon occasion. So DB have taken some of that from me but have also given something back ie faster combat and putting real fear into the players (ie they WILL get hit unless they employ careful tactics).

As has been said, it might be worth your time trying out the rules as written for a session or two. If it doesn’t work for your group, I get that - I’m sure that you can house rule it as you’ve said (you won’t be the only one).

pagnabros

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 15:03

I agree with many that the Bestiary is really too small. My hope suggestion would be to enlarge it to include a increased variety/typology of enemies and/or give us a solid way to customize/create new monsters. Taking inspiration from the Symbaroum or Forbidden Lands system would be wonderful.

Vile Traveller

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 23:11

Diminutive Bestiary.
Same honestly. Though I’m glad it’s fully illustrated.
Perhaps there is hope that more creatures will be included once the artwork has been completed. :mrgreen:
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion