Warhippo

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 1 Introduction

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 17:06

P7 Measuring Time

I've no idea who came up with Stretch and Shift as terms for measuring time. No one in my (reasonably extensive) group feels that these are either intuitive or thematically inclined. Short and Long are far more understandable as are Short Rest and Extended Rest - there are so many more meaningful / memorable options. Perhaps Shift and Stretch are just phrases that are more popular outside of the UK. This is a personal issue rather than a failure in the rules so I'm sure there are plenty of people who are absolutely fine with those words but I scrapped them immediately :)

Box_of_Hats

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:07

I like Stretch and Shift, personally. Stretch has a similar meaning to "coffee break," in my experiences, which to me (in game terms) translates to "a unit of time measures in minutes, as opposed to seconds or hours." Shift sounds like a work shift, which communicates "a unit of time measured in hours, as opposed to minutes or days."

Father Goose

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:32

I like Stretch and Shift too. It's not difficult to understand and does a good job of not sounding like you're a D&D 5e clone, which I appreciate.

Warhippo

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 09:46

Like I said, this is probably a language thing (for example, as I said, I’m in the UK and I’ve never heard people use the term ‘stretch’ for taking a short break). As to “D&D clone”, I think that there’s enough in DB to dissociate the two, just like there’s already plenty of far less tenuous links that connect them (STR, CON, INT, HP, etc). Not that I was suggesting to use the D&D terms of short and long rest of course, I did say there are plenty of options.

Regardless, they’re not words my group will be using as for us, they’re nowhere near as memorable as Short and Long rest (I don’t need to explain those to anyone). It feels a bit like making a change for the sake of change and I’m not much of a fan of that. Glad those terms work for two guys though - can’t agree on everything :)