Ptimot
Topic Author

Zones and Distance

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 15:57

Question to Zones and Distance on page 58 of the core rule book; is being "engaged" at weapons length considered a zone? It doesn't specifically mention engagement in close combat. It reads to me as if the smallest zone is a rather wider area than say 5 feet such as the room everyone is in or the immediate environment. Is one ever "engaged" in close combat within arms reach?

Fenhorn

Re: Zones and Distance

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 16:10

A zone is a specified area on the map that the GM creates for a combat scene. For example: For a combat scene in a three-room apartment, the GM may divide the map of the apartment into three zones. Each weapon have a range, from 0 and up. You can attack anyone that you can see up the range of the weapon. Unarmed and Melee weapons have a range of 0 so you can only attack things in the same zone as you.

Vaesen isn't a combat-focused game, so the combat rules are very simple.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ptimot
Topic Author

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 17:18

Got it, thank you Fenhorn. Oh, related to zones, the fleeing action on page 62, it says a successful check means to leave the fight. Is that really meant that way? In your three room apartment example, that means with one check the combatant runs through several zones and escapes the apartment altogether. I thought it was meant to flee from one zone to the next remote zone but not be gone completely. Any idea there?

TwiceBorn

Mon 12 Dec 2022, 14:37

Got it, thank you Fenhorn. Oh, related to zones, the fleeing action on page 62, it says a successful check means to leave the fight. Is that really meant that way? In your three room apartment example, that means with one check the combatant runs through several zones and escapes the apartment altogether. I thought it was meant to flee from one zone to the next remote zone but not be gone completely. Any idea there?
Perhaps you'll get quicker replies if you post your question on the Year Zero Worlds Discord (Vaesen sub-channel)? https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?t=9151

Fenhorn

Mon 12 Dec 2022, 14:50

Yup, it is a bit of a meta-action. If you succeed you flee from the combat. Sorry, it took a while to answer, I forgot about it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ptimot
Topic Author

Wed 14 Dec 2022, 15:52

Thanks All, I joint the discord. Happy playing!