Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 7 Bestiary

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 11:47

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in chapter 7 of the BETA PDF of the Rulebook Dragonbane. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you feedbacked on something in the Quickstart but it's not changed in the BETA, it's not because we missed it - it's because we made a different assessment. (Typos are a different thing.)
  • Please report your feedback no later than January 31.
Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Rob-H

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 7 Bestiary - Ghost

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 16:25

The Ghost's (p.87) 2nd Attack doesn't list a mechanical effect or means to resist. If it is intended to be a non-mechanical "brush with death" perhaps that could be clearer?

Rob

Ingvar

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 7 Bestiary

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 18:21

P 83, "More dangerous monsters?" sidebar

"The descriptions of monsters in this chapter concern typical examples."

Reading this, I think "exemplars" is a better English word than "examples".

Von Ether

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 18:43

Page 98.
Wight is listed with a Morningstar but has no weapon skill to use for parry actions. On page 84, it says monsters with listed weapons can parry.

Same goes for the Minotaur as well.
Last edited by Von Ether on Sat 03 Dec 2022, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Banquo

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 18:53

A number of monsters/NPC stats have “veteran” as an ability, but can’t see what this actually refers to

Fenhorn

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 18:58

A number of monsters/NPC stats have “veteran” as an ability, but can’t see what this actually refers to
It is the Fighter's profession talent.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Banquo

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 19:29

It is the Fighter's profession talent.
Thanks, somehow missed that completely!

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:29

Page 84, "Toppling: A player character can try to topple a monster (optional rule, page 48), but only if the monster has a skill level in MOBILITY. If the monster has four legs, the attacker gets a bane on the roll."

1. If I am not mistaken, none of the monsters actually have a skill level in MOBILITY, while animals have a mobility skill level, but are not monsters as per definition on page 83. So this rule never applies and seems moot. (except for future use, but could then probably also be printed in the expansion-to-be)
2. "If the monster has four legs, the attacker gets a bane" what if it has 8 or more? Depending on the intention, the sentence should either read "If the monster has four or more legs, the attacker gets a bane" or "If the monster has four legs, the attacker gets a bane ...; monsters with more than four legs can not be toppled."

samirvsmachine

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 05:09

More monsters, please. :mrgreen:

BytomMan

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 05:19

P. 83, MONSTER ATTACKS
A monster always uses a monster attack when it attacks. Each monster has a unique set of monster attacks, which are summarized in a table. The GM rolls or chooses an attack from this table when it is the monster’s turn to attack. Monsters never roll dice to hit their target – monster attacks succeed automatically.

It's not a typo per se, but it's unanimous in my group of 6 (including me) that we all hate this rule about monster attacks hitting automatically. This is not a standard in any other BRP game that I am aware of.

This isn't even something in Symbaroum, which is also a roll under (players always roll to avoid an attack), nor in Forbidden Lands. Anyhow, I hope you all change it. I'm still supporting the game, but I don't think my group will want to play it without some house rule.