PhilHendry
Topic Author

Dragonbane Beta, First Impressions…

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 20:11

I’m sorry, I haven’t been well - I’m having problems with my thyroid gland, which effectively gives me symptoms a bit like ADD (amongst other things) - I don’t concentrate well, so taking part in the ‘proofreading’ probably isn’t going to happen (though when I’m well, it’s something I’m good at).

Instead, I’m going to offer some ‘first impressions’. First of all, I was pleasantly surprised that (so far!) it’s only 115 pages or so, and not a 600 page behemoth… And I hope it doesn’t become that. I am, I suppose, quite ‘old school’ (if not to say just plain old) and I like rules which provide a ‘framework’ within which to play, without legislating for everything - plenty of room for improvisation/winging it.

I love the appearance of the book - it’s very evocative, and attractive. The artwork is great, and very distinctive - it gives the book (and the game) a very distinct, unique, somewhat whimsical, feel.

CharGen doesn’t seem too onerous, unlike some systems I could mention, and yet it has possibilities for varying characters in a way some simple systems don’t.

The rules, having read the QuickStart, seem very good - there’s enough in there not to require too much guesswork, whilst not overwhelming us with minutiae.

I’m impressed… I think I’m going to like this!!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.