narukaioh
Topic Author

Doubts about Character Sheet

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 04:46

Hey folks, I would like to understand something about the forbidden lands sheet.

What is the maximum talent a character can have?
In the character sheet, there are 11 spaces for talents, which gives us the impression that after filling that space other talents could not be noted. Is that really the intent?

Experience: The sheet has 25 spaces, is that on purpose? Can't the character hold more than that?
If so, this will cause sorcerers to be forced to find a lv3 professor for their magical talent. (Which I think is a super awesome question)

Fenhorn

Re: Doubts about Character Sheet

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 10:41

There is no maximum when it comes to the number of talents or how many XP you can have.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

silverfoxdmt73

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 16:10

Hey folks, I would like to understand something about the forbidden lands sheet.

What is the maximum talent a character can have?
In the character sheet, there are 11 spaces for talents, which gives us the impression that after filling that space other talents could not be noted. Is that really the intent?

Experience: The sheet has 25 spaces, is that on purpose? Can't the character hold more than that?
If so, this will cause sorcerers to be forced to find a lv3 professor for their magical talent. (Which I think is a super awesome question)

I think it's more a question of space on the page. As Fenhorn has said, there's no maximum number of Talents you can learn, nor the amount of XP you can build up, though I imagine (at first at least) that players will be spending XP long before they've earned 25 points.

Mr Oldtimer

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 23:20

although, after nearly two years of weekly games and only one character death, my players could save up to a 100 or more XP just because they had all the talents they wanted and more...

narukaioh
Topic Author

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 23:30

although, after nearly two years of weekly games and only one character death, my players could save up to a 100 or more XP just because they had all the talents they wanted and more...
That's exactly it! Suggested NPCs in adventures are infinitely weaker than players due to this. And it would be interesting to target the evolution of the NPCs or a more critical look at this character evolution relationship.

pellejones

Sun 20 Nov 2022, 11:55

This discussions has been on reddit, Facebook and also on the YearZero Discord :) im happy so see it here as well.

Here is my groups though on this subject. My players said to me, early on, we can only have talents equal to the sheet rows right? And I replied, sure ok lets go with that. With that "rule", we have done 178 sessions in a two consecutive campaigns, with many character deaths, except now I campaign 2. One PC has survived for 70 sessions. The player still LOVES the game and has never once complained about lack of talent space.

If the sheet is full, and they want to learn a new talent, they erase an old one.

Keeping talents limited has made combat more balanced. PCs do not become God like heroes and focus is shifted more to character development and world building.

They also constantly live with the knowledge that combat can mean death to a PC.

We early on found the "bug" with lucky talent and agree that if they all have lucky, we should scale combat equally, meaning more dangerous NPCs, more coup de grace and stronger monsters.

So, do we recommend limiting talents to 10+kin talent? Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. All five of us agree. After all, we have had fun with that "rule", three hours a week, for 178 weeks.

RetroDMRay

Sun 20 Nov 2022, 15:06

:D
This discussions has been on reddit, Facebook and also on the YearZero Discord :) im happy so see it here as well.

Here is my groups though on this subject. My players said to me, early on, we can only have talents equal to the sheet rows right? And I replied, sure ok lets go with that. With that "rule", we have done 178 sessions in a two consecutive campaigns, with many character deaths, except now I campaign 2. One PC has survived for 70 sessions. The player still LOVES the game and has never once complained about lack of talent space.

If the sheet is full, and they want to learn a new talent, they erase an old one.

Keeping talents limited has made combat more balanced. PCs do not become God like heroes and focus is shifted more to character development and world building.

They also constantly live with the knowledge that combat can mean death to a PC.

We early on found the "bug" with lucky talent and agree that if they all have lucky, we should scale combat equally, meaning more dangerous NPCs, more coup de grace and stronger monsters.

So, do we recommend limiting talents to 10+kin talent? Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. All five of us agree. After all, we have had fun with that "rule", three hours a week, for 178 weeks.

RetroDMRay

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 15:29

:D
??
In other words Pelle, yes, yes, yes, I loved your ideas and thoughts here! Thank you for them!!