Jogeri
Topic Author

Heart of Darkness - Two characters per player

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 19:04

Hi!

Decided to make a new thread instead of using the existing ones. I am GMing Heart of Darkness on Saturday and one player had to drop out, leaving the amount of PC's to three. This is a bit tricky number, because there are so many great characters to play and I was thinking on how to solve the problem. I had an idea two form two groups that do different tasks. Both played by the same PCs.
Ejiri would be an NPC at start, staying behind in Cetorinha to help Gray and organize everything.
There would be two groups as follows
GROUP 1:
Sajaad - Drabikowski - Lugar
GROUP 2:
Hedenström - Lark - Navarre

Each player would play a character from the same slot (e.g. Sajaad and Hedenström). Of course the issue would be that the players would see more than one agenda simultaneously. Is this a bad thing? Is see that there is a risk of running out of characters if they die. On the bright side, almost all of the agendas could be seen this way. Otherwise, I was thinking of using Lugar, Drabikowski and Sajaad/Hedenström at start. What's your take on this?

Angelman

Re: Heart of Darkness - Two characters per player

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 20:18

I'm doing something similar. I've got two players (=perfect for horror games), and they'll play two characters each (as they did in Destroyer of Worlds, too). I've (had Ejiri) divided the Erebos Scientific Team into two groups, one who'll start out trying to figure out what's going on at Erebos (Ejiri, Sajaad, Lark, & Hedenstrôm), and the other trying to find ways to repair the Cetorinha (Drabikowski, Navarre, Lugar, & Grey).

This worked very well in DoW, as we ensured that both players had one character in either of the two-marine fireteams there, meaning they got to spread out a bit. There were a few odd things, like, one player ended up with two characters which were each others' rivals, but in the end we just ignored that as there was so much stuff going on in the cinematic that nobody really missed those rivalries. So yeah, I think it's a good way of runing it, mate :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 28 Nov 2022, 17:33

Yes it's the way to do it ... All my Alien games are with 4 players with a MAIN character and a secondary character. Like Angelman I've done DOW like that. I always bring lots of NPC in my game.

I'm bringing my "Frontier War" teams in Heart of Darkness with all original characters from the cinematic. I have done Mission 6 and I won't be doing Mission 7 (until further notice). Everyone is embarking in the journey of Hell for the Draconis system.

SCOOP - I'm re-doing all Heart of Darkness maps (starting with the Station Erebos 01). Original Maps are beautiful but not very effective for a gaming point of view. So I should be sharing them this week or so.

Angelman

Mon 28 Nov 2022, 17:59

SCOOP - I'm re-doing all Heart of Darkness maps (starting with the Station Erebos 01). Original Maps are beautiful but not very effective for a gaming point of view. So I should be sharing them this week or so.
I am very much looking forward to those maps, Mr. Dallas :D
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged