JohnK
Topic Author

Re: Is Wake the Final Product?

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 02:40

Hullo, Operations,
It is also one of the easiest Free League games to get new players into, as you don't need 2 to 3 different distinct sets of D6 dice, but is more complex than TftL for those that like to have character options. I also love Mutant Year Zero and Forbidden Lands (also their original IP) but needing to keep track of which dice came from attributes and which from gear when pushing is somewhat a pain.

This is certainly true about Coriolis, and to be honest, one of the reasons I haven't run a lot of the Free League stuff that requires "interpretive dice". You can buy sets of dice for Coriolis and Vaesen,for example, but they're not dice with funny symbols or distinct in other ways.
(Tip: When players don't have enough different colored dice for this, I make a 'play mat' for them with a sheet of paper. Draw some labeled boxes on the paper, and they roll each set (Attribute, Skill, Gear or whatever per the game) separate, and put the results in the box. Then if they decide to push, they roll and return each set separate to the box, then count results. Takes a bit longer, but keeps out confusion as to which dice where from what part for effects.)
Good tip, and good idea. I'll bear this in mind if I ever decide to run those games. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK
Topic Author

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 02:47

Hullo, oleug,
Personally I'd really like to see a new edition, mostly to take the things they've learned from later games and spruce up the ruleset for this game. Coriolis is one of the earliest games using this engine, and in my opinion it shows. Just for that I'd like an updated rulebook.
I suspect that the main reason to do a second edition or whatever they want to call it of Coriolis will be to provide new GMs with a starting point that begins after the third part of the Mercy of the Icons material, as the third part changes things in the Third Horizon in a lot of ways. However, as you say, Coriolis was one of the earliest games with the Year Zero Engine system, and needs to be tidied up somewhat, and I suspect a Starter Set for new gamers to the universe would be a good idea.
I imagine this would also help get more players to try out the game. Getting Wake is fantastic for a long term GM, but for new players? I'm not so sure. But an updated rulebook released together with a new starter set? Maybe as a proper kickstarter and everything to build hype?

The problem for me with doing this as a new Kickstarter is that one thing that Free League does in its KS is forget what the purpose of the specific KS is, and they add all manner of stuff that isn't really necessary to stretch goals for it. The original Coriolis Kickstarter was a bit bloated with material, to be honest.
That being said, more Scenario Compediums, character concepts, late game options, and other sourcebooks would be very welcome.
No argument here. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK

JohnK
Topic Author

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 02:57

Hullo, oleug,
Here is the latest one with a timecode specific to Coriolis: https://youtu.be/m-y0Dm2iz0s?t=1448
That is kinda why I want one, I think a new edition would for one be a more clean slate to release produce new content from. I kinda hope they would set it pre-Mercy though, although I don't know if that's a naive thought or not.
Thanks for that link, much appreciated. :)

My impression from what was said in that interview snippet was that any new edition of the game would be set post-Mercy of the Icons, and I would hazard a guess that any new scenarios and materials would also be post-Mercy. That gives them the clean slate that you mention above, serves as a better intro to GMs new to the game who don't want to have the baggage of what came pre-Mercy, and would likely breathe some new life into the game.

JohnK