ThrorII
Topic Author

Elves and Shadow help

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 00:56

I've played 1e (actually the 1.5e from 2014) for years now, and I'm finally trying to wrap my head around 2e. I have two question on Elves and Shadow, I'm not sure how these two rule are to be handled:

1. High Elves of Rivendell - Beset By Woe "You can remove accumulated Shadow points exclusively during a Yule Fellowship Phase (see Spiritual Recovery in the core rules)". Does this mean that a High Elf of Rivendell can only remove 1-3 points of shadow, using Spiritual Recovery, in the last Fellowship Phase of the Year (the Yule FP)? Is the 1-3 points determined on the LAST Adventuring Phase, or an overview of the entire YEARS Adventuring phases?

2. Do Elves of Rivendell and Lindon have the ability to 'swallow' Shadow points for Shadow Scars? Or do their Shadow sub-rules preclude that? If so, do the High Elf of Rivendell and the Elf of Lindon have access to the Heal Scars Yule Fellowship Undertaking?

vilainn6

Re: Elves and Shadow help

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 22:05

1- Yep, High Elves they only heal shadow once a year, at Yule. As for how much, that depends on how the LM handle shadow recovery. I think the rules assume the Yule fellowship phase is like any other fellowship phase so it count just what happened during the last adventure for the group but it not a bad house rule to reflect on what happened during the last year.

2- Yes they can convert there shadow points into scars like any other cultures and they can heal those scars at Yule if they want by spending 5 adventure points.

Keirn

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 23:00

It makes more sense to me if they are able to recover shadow points for whole year adventure phases, not just the last one. Penalty is harsh anyway and that makes more sense to me lorewise.

If you have only one player (like me) maybe you want to mitigate that penalty by allowing player to remove shadow points during adventure phases, for instance when they encounter something particular calming or reassuring (for elves). This is how I do it, maybe it is not quite right but gaming is all for fun anyway.

Shadow scars: I think they can remove shadow points for a shadow scar just like any other character.

ThrorII
Topic Author

Wed 23 Nov 2022, 03:42

OK, I found in the Rivendell supplement, that Arwen allows an Elf character to convert a Shadow Scar into a regular Shadow point.

So Elves CAN turn Shadow points to Shadow Scars.

The only question now is, can Elves take the Heal Scars Yule Fellowship Undertaking?

I wonder that because of the wording that High Elves can remove accumulated Shadow ONLY with Spirutual Recovery at the Yule Undertaking. It could be read to exclude Heal Scars.

vilainn6

Wed 23 Nov 2022, 06:20

YES THEY CAN!

they work like any other cultures. Small difference, they only do a spiritual recovery once a year while the other characters do it every fellowship phase.