fougerec

Re: Questions about Torches, Oil Lamps and Dungeon-Exploration

Mon 14 Nov 2022, 17:32

1. Lamp Oil is a light item per unit. Torches are a normal item regardless if you have a d6 or a d12
2. Torches are easily crafted, oil requires Tallow and the Tanner Talent.
3. Not all towns have markets.

Encumbrance is a real thing in this game and sometimes you need that extra space that's being used by lamp oil and a lantern.

Addramyr

Re: Questions about Torches, Oil Lamps and Dungeon-Exploration

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 06:37

I'm starting a new campaign with new players and I'm expecting this so good to know in advance.

I'll totally make lantern and oil rarer and more costly.
After all, torches are just wood with rope, cloth and sap/tar.

Lamp and oil is what most people use for lighting themselves at night (likely rushlight) so it makes sense not a lot of people would sell their only and precious source of light. It's also lot more complicated to craft (gotta kill an animal, which is a rare occurrence in medieval times because animals are more useful alive (constant source of egg, milk, wool vs 1 time source of a lot for meat you likely can't easily conserve), then process the fat boiling it and skimming it for hours). To me oil is more costly than torches for sure.

One last thing is medieval oil lamps are not what you think (OP). You definitely couldn't hang one from your belt.
They are not modern wick lamps thats is super bright and made of metal and glass.
Most medieval lanterns are actually candle holders so not very bright.
Oil lamps are usually made of clay or ceramic (so very fragile) and have a tiny open flame that is very dim, smoky and smelly. Think stuff like Aladdin lamp but in ceramic (metals one do exist but probably only the rich can afford it).
They are not made to be carried around much and while lot more practical to light a small home, torches are way more practical for adventurers (brighter, easier to make, more solid and you don't risk burning yourself with hot oil all the the time)