Magnimost
Topic Author

Re: New GM queries

Mon 31 Oct 2022, 15:14

Thanks!

I went for the pregen characters in the end.

Why do you think Chariot isn't good as an intro scenario? We played the first session, and felt good. I didn't even look at HLD since it's only one act.

SpaceMarines

Tue 01 Nov 2022, 02:13

Glad you’re enjoying it so far! CotG is one of my favourite scenarios in any game that I’ve played or run.

As for why I don’t think it’s a good introduction, in short, it’s quite long and fairly complicated with how many NPCs there are. Those aren’t bad things, per se, and the complexity that arises from that is a big part of why I love it. But that’s also a big part of why I don’t think it’s good for an introduction

“Hope’s Last Day” being one act is a major strength in that regard. It quickly introduces the players to stealth, combat, and interpersonal conflict, three core elements of the game. It’s also fairly straightforward, making it easier to run or play when you’re still learning the rules. Featuring the classic Alien and the iconic Hadley’s Hope is also really fun, giving people a bit of what they expect from a licenced game. Chariot subverts that by only using creatures from the prequels, which again I think is great, but isn’t necessarily good when introducing new players. Plus, being so short, it’s less of a time investment if it turns out you don’t really like the game

Magnimost
Topic Author

Mon 07 Nov 2022, 18:45

Air consumable rules say to roll every Turn if you're in a spacesuit, but several tasks take Shift or more. I figured in Chariots the characters would return to Montero to replenish their air supply if they weren't under immediate threat, so essentially I handwaved the air supply limitations. Or did I miss some rule?

LoyalBulldog

Mon 07 Nov 2022, 20:31

I played last Saturday. It was my first Alien game.
I used the airsupply rulls in conjunction with the stealth mode rules.

My players where really thinking about how you move through the ship. Upping the tension as they went searching for extra air cannisters. It was very tense and a lot of fun.

Angelman

Mon 07 Nov 2022, 20:45

Air consumable rules say to roll every Turn if you're in a spacesuit, but several tasks take Shift or more. I figured in Chariots the characters would return to Montero to replenish their air supply if they weren't under immediate threat, so essentially I handwaved the air supply limitations. Or did I miss some rule?
While the table on states you have to roll each Turn for Air supply (such as in a Space Suit), the CONSUMABLES box p.34 says: "The GM lets you know when resources are scarce and it’s time to start tracking them." I take that to be a carte blanch to allow the GM to chose when the players need to start tracking Air Supply.

But yes, you are onto something. With Turns being 5-10 minutes and Shifts 5-10 hours, one could surmise that a Shift is at least 30 Turns (10x6 Turns = 1 hour, x5 hours minimum). That said, I would definitelly allow players to take breaks to replenish the Air Supply during a Turns' work.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged