Dinaer
Topic Author

DYING HEROES

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 10:20

Hi everyone,
sorry if it was discussed before I tryed to look in the search but couldn't find anyting regarding this.

Dying heroes must receive a successful HEALING roll
within approximately 1 hour or they will die.

A Healing roll can be considered an action resolved by a die roll :

As a rule, players only have one attempt at anything that is
resolved with a die roll — whether they succeed or fail, they
have done their best.

This is why we have this quote on the Healing rules :

Each hero may be administered a successful First Aid only
once. A failed HEALING roll cannot be repeated until at least
a day has passed, as the failure of the treatment isn’t immediately
apparent.

My questions is in the case that an Hero is dying the healing roll can be done just one time , because after 1h the hero is dead and the Healing roll can be repeated only once a day ? Bascially if the healing roll is failed the hero is dead ?

Is that correct ?

Or you could consider a second try ( maybe with an -1d , to represent the first failure ) on a failed healing roll in case of dying heroes ?
“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

Otaku-sempai

Re: DYING HEROES

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 16:18

I would suggest that if a player-hero possesses a Trait that will allow them to assess the injuries and treatment of a colleague then a second healing roll might be allowed. I'm not sure what Distinctive Feature might apply but allow the player to argue their case.
#FideltyToTolkien

Dunheved

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 17:26

... Dying heroes must receive a successful HEALING roll
within approximately 1 hour or they will die.

My questions is in the case that an Hero is dying the healing roll can be done just one time , because after 1h the hero is dead and the Healing roll can be repeated only once a day ? Bascially if the healing roll is failed the hero is dead ?

Is that correct ?
Yeah. The intention of the rule seems to be clear enough. It may be harsher than other RPGs, but it is do-or-die time. One shot or the PC is gone*
All you can do (it seems to me) is to pick your best Healer and most useful supporting Healer to spend hope and gain dice for the roll - ideally through Inspiration for +2d. Any useful artefact can also apply of course.
Might be a good time for a Magical Success.

*However never rule out the power of players with great narrative skills!

Rafamir

Thu 27 Oct 2022, 20:55

A failed HEALING roll cannot be repeated until at least
apparent.
I believe this is intended for Healing skill checks undertaken to treat a wound, not to prevent a dying hero from succumbing.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 27 Oct 2022, 22:54

apparent.
I believe this is intended for Healing skill checks undertaken to treat a wound, not to prevent a dying hero from succumbing.
I dunno, it seems pretty straightforward to me. That said, There is room for a Loremaster to make a more generous ruling, possibly using a house rule. I would consider allowing a character who is skilled in Healing or with an appropriate Trait a roll to assess treatment and make a second attempt to assist the dying character if warranted. I do miss the Specialities of the first edition; Leechcraft would come in very handy for this. Then again, Leechcraft could have been used under 1e rules for an automatic success!
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sun 30 Oct 2022, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
#FideltyToTolkien

gyrovague

Sun 30 Oct 2022, 05:02

Bascially if the healing roll is failed the hero is dead ?

Not necessarily. I could see letting them linger on the brink for another 23 hours and 59 minutes.

But after that? Yeah, dead.

Dinaer
Topic Author

Mon 31 Oct 2022, 11:58

Thank you all for your answers, as usual there is no a straight forward rule but a Loremaster can adjust as he wish.
Although I was thinking that elf ( as a ratial feature ) and dwarf ( with BROKEN SPELLS virtue) or pg with a some particular magic item can that I can't recal , spending 1 hope point to have an automatic success, this could be a wise advice for all the player out there.

I know hope point ar valuable but...well in this case I think it's absolutely worth it.
“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

Harlath

Mon 31 Oct 2022, 12:59

Thank you all for your answers, as usual there is no a straight forward rule but a Loremaster can adjust as he wish.
Although I was thinking that elf ( as a ratial feature ) and dwarf ( with BROKEN SPELLS virtue) or pg with a some particular magic item can that I can't recal , spending 1 hope point to have an automatic success, this could be a wise advice for all the player out there.

I know hope point ar valuable but...well in this case I think it's absolutely worth it.
That is indeed a wise use of a Magical Success! Plus the magical nature of the healing may well quick the wound's recovery, or even make it instant in some cases.

Falenthal

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 03:58

apparent.
I'm with Rafamir here:
The "only one Healing check per day" limit is indicated when treating Wounds (First Aid check) or when trying to remove a poison.
But when trying to revive a Dying hero, the section only says that he needs to receive a successful Healing check within the next hour. No mention of a limit to the number of Healing tests allowed by different heroes (not the same one, who has already tried his best).

Basically, I think there's a distinction between the concept of First Aid (only one roll per day) and that of reviving a Dying hero (any number of heroes and NPCs can try, but only once each and within 1 hour of acquiring the Dying status).

Dunheved

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 11:31

One further way to negotiate this issue occurs to me.

Success with Woe.

Normally (as the LM) I consider applying this great narrative feature whenever a skill roll falls short by a slim margin, but I see no such restriction in RAW, it can be used at any time.

If a PC is Wounded, and the Healer does fail, then the LM overrules the result. The PC survives but with a life -changing injury due to the attack.

" Despite the best efforts to eliminate the infection in the cut, in a short while, the ghastly hue spread from the thumb, across the hand and began to affect the next two fingers. The same debilitating effect commenced - now these fingers too began to have no sensation of touch. The skin blackened and blistered. Bariel fell back into a deep slumber again.

As soon they were certain of Bariel being unconscious: an axe head was heated in the fire, while the wood of the handle was carefully kept wet to stop it igniting. When the metal block was glowing a dull red, Marhal took hold of the infected arm, and lay across Bariel for that moment when they awoke.

Nalir took up his axe and swung. An exact blow that severed the hand above the wrist. Then the still red metal block pressed hard against the exposed section of the remaining arm, cauterizing the fresh flesh.

Bariel, woke, too shocked to scream, gave a dull groan unexpectedly, and sank back again, shocked into further unconsciousness.
No more would the Sword of the Mist be wielded by the heir of Adumbar. "

Surviving the poison had its cost.
Bariel loses all Weapon capability with Swords (four ranks) and must pay to relearn how to fight with their Left hand. (No two handed weapon use, but begin again with rank one.)
However, the fighting experience Bariel has gone through will mean all XP expenditure on one weapon capability is halved up to and including the fourth rank. It will take three subsequent Fellowship phases to reach this capability again.
A slip on version of a Buckler can be used by the stump on the right arm, but no larger, non-magical shield.
Bariel has gained a HATRED for Forest Goblins and Spiders.
Add 1 Shadow Scar too.

Or some such variation.