VivaVivec
Topic Author

Experiences and tips for exploration and travel through cities and ruins.

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 22:55

Preface: I do not own Urban Operations.
Currently GMing a face-to-face campaign and my party has been interested in exploring the ruins of Wroclaw. This will be the first time they enter a major city, albeit a shelled husk.
The player's manual suggests to create a smaller-scale travel map over the city, where 1 grid equals 1km. I have been thinking of an alternative system that is fairly point-crawl like, where the city is divided into a couple of districts with one or two points of interests within each.

I'd love to hear some experiences and tips for how you all have done this kind of exploration and travel within your own campaigns.
Lillklockan klämtar til Storklockans dön,
Löfvad står Cantorn i porten;
[...]

Vcutter

Re: Experiences and tips for exploration and travel through cities and ruins.

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 07:55

Kinda hard not to suggest getting a sourcebook that covers cities but that being said, especially since you are going into ruins, here's my take.
Lets distinct between ruins and cities.
Ruins= shelled out urban husks with mainly rubble and perhaps few desperate scavengers.
Cities= somewhat functionin urban societies/communities with large population (by TW:2000 standards), some form of government, security, economy etc.

With ruins I'd probably go with "point crawl". Mapping out and crawling in rubble, be it 1km or 200m hexes is not really very interesting, especially since you probably won't have that many points of interest left in a ruined city. With point crawl you could just give the places of interest to players and then when they travel fill the areas between with random or premade encounters.