degamer
Topic Author

Ammo Dice and Ammo Expended

Sat 15 Oct 2022, 02:15

Ok, so ammo dice only provide a benefit if you roll a six/Bullet, and the amount of ammo you dump is equal to the dice results, +1. As the bullet is on the 6 of the die, you only get a bonus for automatic fire per 6 rounds fired. So its basically mag dump or nothing? Small controlled bursts are just a waste of ammo?

Fenhorn

Re: Ammo Dice and Ammo Expended

Sat 15 Oct 2022, 02:23

One ammo dice will give a 17% chance of another success that besides that it can increase damage (if the attack hits), it can also be used to hit another target. Two ammo dice have 28% chance of one success and 3% chance of two successes of doing the same thing. That's not bad for one or two bursts. Using six ammo dice will give you 40% of one success, 20% of two successes and 5% of three successes (and a symbolic chance for more than that). Since pushing is an important part in the game (it is in all YZE-games), you have the same chance of rolling a bane (1s).

Statistically it looks like using two ammo dice is the sweet spot.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vcutter

Sat 15 Oct 2022, 12:17

Degamer those bullets fired could all be semi-auto or short bursts or longr bursts. Let the player decide. If he wants to be the cool calculating operator firing short bursts then that is what happened. But the firing wasn’t effective until the last burst for example.

Mechanically yeah: the extra hit is always 6 extra ammo. There was a thread about this recently. If you don’t mind one extra roll the game balance won’t suffer for rolling spent bullets afterwards again for the ”6”.

FatherJ_ct

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 01:14

Hmm, true. success is 6 bullets. So pistol with one ammo dice added mean 7 bullets for that ammo dice success. every time. Initially I don't see an issue with a house rule of roll ammo dice to see if you get ammo hits and reroll to see bullets expended, or the just rerolling the success to see how many bullets the success was.

baldrick0712

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 09:06

The ammo dice are supposed to simulate the effects of increasing volume of fire - i.e. the chance of hitting multiple targets and of suppressing the target even when you miss. I personally don't see a problem with the RAW as modified for the reprint. For a semi-automatic weapon like a handgun you are going to have to pull the trigger as fast as you can to replicate the volume of fire a true suppressive weapon like a machinegun could deliver so yeah, you should be expending something like 7 rounds. You could of course randomise this a bit with some sort of house rule but to me, it's more effort than it's worth. I certainly would not randomise it by simply rolling another d6 for ammo, as then you might end up hitting multiple targets and suppressing the hex with just 2 rounds. I would go for something like 1-2 = -1 round, 5-6 = +1 round but as this would have such a minimal effect I wouldn't even bother doing that.

Mahatatain

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 14:05

Remember as well that ammo should be scarce so part of the thought process for the number of ammo dice included in an attack check is whether you can afford to expend the ammo or not. I've already got players worrying about ammo, though they haven't started reducing the amount of ammo dice that they're using yet, but I can see the point coming where players are either reducing the number of ammo dice they're using or ditching their M16s for AKMs.

Therefore to me it works as a mechanic.

Oddball_E8

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 18:37

Remember as well that ammo should be scarce so part of the thought process for the number of ammo dice included in an attack check is whether you can afford to expend the ammo or not. I've already got players worrying about ammo, though they haven't started reducing the amount of ammo dice that they're using yet, but I can see the point coming where players are either reducing the number of ammo dice they're using or ditching their M16s for AKMs.

Therefore to me it works as a mechanic.
My players got smart real fast and picked "ammo for any MG" as a group option, so now they have 400 rounds of 5.56 ammo in addition to what they are carrying on them.

However, I added a houserule that they have to succeed with a CUF roll to pick the number of ammo dice they use, otherwise they'll roll full ROF for their gun for that turn.

Ursus Maior

Sat 22 Oct 2022, 17:45

Hmm, true. success is 6 bullets. So pistol with one ammo dice added mean 7 bullets for that ammo dice success. every time. Initially I don't see an issue with a house rule of roll ammo dice to see if you get ammo hits and reroll to see bullets expended, or the just rerolling the success to see how many bullets the success was.
As @Vcutter already said, there was a post about that recently. The problem with de-linking ammo dice successes from ammo spent rolls is that you need to roll more dice. YZE tries to avoid that at great costs. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but that's what it is.

Also, remember, each round is up to 10 seconds long. That's a lot of time in a firefight. Hence it's perfectly okay to spray a lot of bullets down range.
liber & infractus