degamer
Topic Author

Additional Languages

Wed 12 Oct 2022, 09:12

So how exactly does one determine what languages a PC knows, or how to learn new ones? I can't find any mention in the Player or GM guides. I assume one would know their own kin's language and a "common" (alderlander?), but not how to be fluent in anything else.

Widowmemer

Re: Additional Languages

Wed 12 Oct 2022, 09:49

I think it falls to GM ruling. You understand common, but to get the meaning (spoken or written) of something in another language (i.e. ancient dwarven/elven) you need a successful lore roll.

Fenhorn

Wed 12 Oct 2022, 09:50

Forbidden Lands doesn't have skills or talents for languages. Just as you said, you can assume that the players can talk the language of their kin and of course the language of the humans. There might be small NPC groups out there that only can talk their own language and not the language of the humans (being isolated). A Lore skill roll could perhaps be used to understand odd languages.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ishnigarrab

Wed 12 Oct 2022, 19:23

I handle it similar.

There is a common tongue, which was developed as a trade language with usage of words from all kin.

So usually all kin can understand. Most kin have their language, which might be understandable with a knowledge roll (or can be understand if the character had ties with the kin storywise.

Only some kin like the lizard people have a very different language because there where never part of the greater community.

degamer
Topic Author

Thu 13 Oct 2022, 04:41

OK, thanks. Glad I wasn't just missing something obvious.

Arnold

Fri 14 Oct 2022, 09:24

Languages

Each character starts with a language.

Each rank in lore unlocks an additional language.

Selectable languages ​​are:
Ancient Language: Elves, Dwarfs, Elf Children, Orcs and Aillanders start with this language, it is the language that emerged from Elvish and Dwarven.
Alderisch: The language of the Alderland settlers.
Belifar: The language of halflings and goblins.
Aslen: The language of the Aslen.
Howl: The spoken language of the wolflings.

Ancient and Secret Language:
Dwarven: The ancient language of the dwarven clans. Much used by Stonesingers and Hugedruids.
Elvish: The ancient language of the elves. Much used by earth druids and rune mages.
The Dark Speech: The language of demons used by blood mages, rustbrothers, and hemedruids.
Maha: The sign language of the earth druids, but also of raven druids.
Hiss: lizard language
Crying: the language of the whiners.
ogrean. Degenerate type of dwarf.

degamer
Topic Author

Sat 15 Oct 2022, 02:10

I like this, stealing.