Viperion_NZ

Re: Urban Operations

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 12:29

I often find unfounded optimism and unfounded pessimism are equally frustrating.

We won't know until we know, and we don't know. But I have to say, signs are NOT looking good.

Vcutter

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 13:28

I hate to agree with your assessment but at this point I have to.
4 weeks ago it was "last pics and map need to be finished, look out for pre-order/pdf in 2 weeks!"
Then we had some random chitchat on forums that vaguely indicated this weeks Monday (granted, not exactly "official" info by any means, but pretty much best we have.)
I was hoping the webshop revamp would be the date but apparently 5e LOTR got the spotlight.
Businesswise I guess that is much more popular the TW4e so maaaayybe next weeks Monday they are running out of other games to promote, right? :D
What really sucks is the total silence regarding TW4e on all the platforms. I do get that current russian war of aggression affects advertising TW but a small mention in twitter like "In addition to Coriolis, LOTR blahblach look out for Twilight: 2000 expansion next week." wouldn't hurt. I doubt anyone would accuse FL of war profiteering or bad taste etc. with a small mention of the expansion on some tweet.
But yeah, you are right. We know when we know.

KastorKrieg

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 14:09

It's disappointing and discouraging to say the least. Between this and the shitshow of customer experience (being completely ghosted by David The Customer Support Rep) I'm having, I'm not buying anything directly from Fria Ligan anymore. And if my Heart of Darkness box doesn't arrive, having already been lost for over 2 weeks, I'm charging it back and calling it a day.

ottarrus

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 20:53

I admit that I'm as frustrated as everyone else when it comes to Fria Ligan's 'schedule'.
Why are so many projects being Kickstarted when properties that are up and running not getting supported?

For that matter, I don't see where the Second Ukraine War has anything to do with releasing a role playing game supplement. But then I don't share a border with Russia, so that might be the difference there.

Vcutter

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 22:44

"I don't see where the Second Ukraine War has anything to do with releasing a role playing game supplement. But then I don't share a border with Russia, so that might be the difference there."

Well neither does Sweden,but I get your point. :) From what I understand the delay is not about the war but other stuff, as Tomas pointed out. It is true that the war affects the promoting of Twilight: 2000 at the moment. And to a degree I get that. Advertising game where you "fight russians in europe during/after WW3" MIGHT be considered war-mongering or war-profiteering or simply bad taste by some people. Though tbh this is still sucha marginal hobby and TW4e such a marginal game, that I don't see huge waves coming even if they promoted TW all the time on twitter. I'm guessing FL is simply being cautious regarding the publiity.

That being said, FL could up their game when it comes to communicating with the community. I mean we are just dying to throw our money at them, would be nice of them to tell us when we can do that. It has now been about 5 weeks since they said "two weeks" on a Swedish forum. I'm pretty sure they could update fans regarding status of UO, because naturally 2 weeks turning to 5 without any comms will make people wonder if something has happened.
Then again we might get release this Monday.:D

Fenhorn

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 23:31

Moderator Message: Please ditch the real world talk. That can start quite innocence, but rarely end that way if it continues.

Regarding the delay of UO, yes it starts to get annoying to be honest, but hopefully whatever issues they have had with its release, have been solved so we can get the continuation of T2K4E going. Its way overdue.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

ottarrus

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 06:09

Moderator Message: Please ditch the real world talk. That can start quite innocence, but rarely end that way if it continues.

Regarding the delay of UO, yes it starts to get annoying to be honest, but hopefully whatever issues they have had with its release, have been solved so we can get the continuation of T2K4E going. Its way overdue.
I understand your concerns regarding real-world politics. You're right, most often it doesn't end well. I only bring it up in the context of the delays in products from FL and why those delays are happening. There is a lot of speculation about that and some of it is political in nature. Other game companies have had similar problems with other nations. One company I am a fan of has had many of their products delayed as a political move by China, for example.

Viperion_NZ

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 06:32

The problem here is we don't know what problems they've had, if they've been solved, or anything else, because they're simply not telling us. All we know, is nothing.

Midnightplat

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 07:05

Way I see it is they have Alien stuff going on, One Ring porting over to 5e or whatever they're doing with Middle Earth for 5e going on, and Bladerunner about to drop going on (and Symbarrium seems to be getting love too ... those are three licensed titles that, while I haven't combed KS proceeds, I'm still leaning to believe garner FL more revenue and notice than the T2K4E work. I get the impression FL is a relatively small studio for the amount of systems and supporting content they put out and T2K4E just falls by the wayside, especially I think licenses come with terms as far as licenses and deadlines and stuff that are probably more rigidly enforced in the three cinematic pop cultural properties that just aren't the case. So there's more in house demand to work on those and more passion oriented projects like T2K4E fall by the wayside. I'm not celebrating this, I think T2K4E is a great system and expanded mechanics would be great.

Was Urban Operations an as yet unfulfilled but funding met KS stretch goal? I can sympathize with the consternation if that's the case, but otherwise, I'm very much in a content with the game as is am very versed in the original editions story, even have the o.g. modules and also it's not like there aren't historical understanding to draw from, sometimes in this very forum, to build on what's already there. Basically there's a lot to do "out of the box" and going beyond the official map, or deeper into some more industrialized locations on the map, I feel pretty well equipped, and when if more official mechanical support drops, I'm sure I'll check it out.

Viperion_NZ

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 07:22

I get the impression FL is a relatively small studio for the amount of systems and supporting content they put out and T2K4E just falls by the wayside

Which would be fine, if they'd tell us that. Telling is nothing is getting monotonous, and IME is never a good sign of the life of a game line (looking at you Spellbound for FantasyCraft)

(Actually it wouldn't be fine, it would suck. But at least we would know)