finarvyn

Re: I've already got AiME, sell me on LOTR 5e?

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 14:58

I'm not a part of the design process, but let me give my best guess.

Cubicle-7 put out TOR 1E and lost the license, so the same designers jumped to Free League and created TOR 2E. At the time they said that the design goals were to streamline and fix a few things, but essentially to not make 1E obsolete. The biggest difference between 1E and 2E is artwork and setting. TOR 1E had a focus on the Wilderlands, so Mirkwood and Rivendell and the Lonely Mountain. TOR 2E has a focus on the Shire, so Hobbitton and Bree and the like. Since they don't want 1E to become obsolete, their plan was to not just republish 1E material, but instead to focus on other parts of Middle-earth.

Now consider the 5E version. Adventures in Middle-earth covered the same material as TOR 1E, only with a different set of rules. Lord of the Rings Roleplaying has advertised a Shire sourcebook, so looks to cover the same material as TOR 2E instead of the material of AiME. My best guess, therefore, is that if you liked AiME you should invest in LORR because it will add to the world experience. It will probably have very similar mechanics to AiME (again, same designers) but cover new places in Middle-earth.

No inside information here, but trying to connect the dots. I love AiME and have already backed the new game.
Marv / Finarvyn
Fell in love with Tales from The Loop, Vaesen, 5E LotRR ... Now hooked on Dragonbane, which still should be called Drakar och Demoner IMO. Played OD&D since 1975..

vilainn6

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 15:58

Honestly? the game seems fine and those who never got the chance to buy AIME will probably have lot of fun with it but for the old timers I don't know.

The class are a bit boring. They cap at level 10 and don't have a lot of creative features compare to AIME class. 3 of them have sneak attack for example. I still haven't figured out what was the mechanical purpose of the messanger class.

On the bright side, LOTR 5e looks more like a direct conversion of TOR 2e while AIME was more D&D with TOR mechanics crammed into it. I like that a group have now a Fellowship pool, which grant advantage when spend or trigger patron's power. Travel and Council work the same as TOR 2e. Instead of fatigue, the journey events give modifiers to the final constitution save to see how many exhaustion you gain at the end of a travel phase.

The Scholar gains spell like powers called craft that are really cool and all of the other class can picks some instead of virtues. Speaking of virtues, The automatic ASI at level 4 got removed and integrated into the virtues. Acquiring Virtues and Rewards is now part of the class progression. I also like the removal of Inspiration or spending hit dice as cost to use virtues and magic items.

If you found AIME to be an imbalanced mess, this version will probably work better, However, If you are happy with what you already have, you can pass on this one and just collect futur supplements.
Thank you kindly. Can you provide an example of a "spell". What are the classes available? Is there a big difference between the "fighters" and the "non-fighters"?
One is called beast craft and allow you to speak and Charm Wild animals into your personal pets

Captain : a Charisma warrior Who boost His alliés.
Champion: the 5e fighter with a bit of Barbarian
Treasure hunter: the 5e rogue
Warden: the 5e ranger
The Scholar: IT look close to a 5e bard
The Messenger: I have not figured IT yet but IT look like a weakened rogue with so social skills

A Scholar or messenger Will Nevers Ditch as Much damage as a warrior so the imbalance is There but maybe less than Aime because if the rewards and virtues. Still that would need to be check during an actual Play.

Lichequeen

Tue 18 Oct 2022, 04:42

The Messenger: I have not figured IT yet but IT look like a weakened rogue with so social skills
/quote]

Yeah I can't get my head around Messenger either. Sort of a Ranger, sort of a Rogue.

gyrovague

Thu 03 Nov 2022, 01:17

Please share what are the selling points/offerings of this version of Middle-earth in 5e.
Because if you're a true Middle-earth fan you want to own every edition of every RPG set there.

Graysworn

Thu 17 Nov 2022, 01:13

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V-L ... sp=sharing

Here's a list of changes between AiME and LOTR 5e I compiled a while back, for your reference!

jonathanpay
Topic Author

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 21:37

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V-L ... sp=sharing

Here's a list of changes between AiME and LOTR 5e I compiled a while back, for your reference!
Fantastic, thank you! Will give that a read
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.