Ishnigarrab
Topic Author

New Talent Warlock - Magic Mishap Reduction - Input needed

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 13:29

Hi there.

After seeing how dangerous magic is, I wanted to find a way to make magic a bit less scary (but still dangerous)

I looked into some ideas and possible house rules, but these where not to my liking.

After some brainstorming I have an idea for a new general talent (which is for Sorcerers and Druids (and other spellcasters, if any))

Warlock
You are able to controll the powers of magic a bit better then most.

Tier 1
If you roll a single bane on a magic roll, you invoke a magical mishap as usual. If the tens digit is a 6, you may reduce it to a 5. For example, a 66 becomes a 56.
If you roll additional banes, the mishap roll is not modified.

Tier 2
If you roll a single bane on a magic roll, you invoke a magical mishap as usual. If the tens digit is a 6 or 5, you may reduce it to a 4. For example, a 56 becomes a 46.
If you roll 2 banes, the talent counts as tier 1
If you roll 3+ banes, the mishap roll is not modified

Tier 3
If you roll a single bane on a magic roll, you invoke a magical mishap as usual. If the tens digit is a 6,5 or 4, you may reduce it to a 3. For example, a 51 becomes a 31.
If you roll 2 banes, the talent counts as tier 2
If you roll 3 banes, the mishap roll counts as tier 1
If you roll 4+ banes, the mishap roll is not modified

Special: If you cast a spell of a higher tier then you have learned, you also roll 1 die per Willpower spent. As you already invoke a magic mishap, this counts as one automatic bane.

For example: A sorcerer tries to cast a tier 3 blood spell, but only has tier 2 blood magic learned. He uses 3 Willpower points and rolls 3 basic divce.

He rolls 1 bane and adds an additional bane. This counts for 2 banes,.As he has only tier 1 in Warlock, the magic mishap roll is not modified,

I wanted to make it easy as a rule, still dangerous enough for spellcasters.

What do you think?

Konungr

Re: New Talent Warlock - Magic Mishap Reduction - Input needed

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 16:06

I think it would be a better idea to have the talent mimic Lucky and add a WP cost for using each rank of it. However I think rank 3 is bad for lucky/executioner as well. So it should be...

R1 1 WP. Reroll your mishap result. You choose which result you want.
R2 1 WP. Swap the numbers. A 63 becomes 36.
R3 1 WP. Move up or down the table 1 step. (You can pick the different result 1 step above or bellow the number you land on).

It is up to them how many they use and each has its own WP cost. Roll a bane. Roll. "66! 1 WP to reroll. 54... still not great. Lets turn it into a 45 1 more WP. "

Ishnigarrab
Topic Author

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 09:15

Thank you for the feedback.

Mimicking Luck was my first idea, but did not work.

I wanted to avoid rerolls on the mishap table and also swapping the dice.

Why? The lowest result in the mishap table gives an Reputation bonus to the character. Rerolls and swapping dice raise the chance to get this result and an caster would gain Reputation much faster then others. And Reputation can be a powerful bonus.

Spending WP does not work for General talents usually. And the caster already uses WP to fuel the spell.

My intention is only to have a chance to avoid the worst results, but still have the risk, especially if you spend more then one WP. And to roll only once on the mishap table as usual.

Konungr

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 13:42

Reputation context matters. Being recognized for being a spell caster can be a huge problem. I also assume the players have managed to make some enemies along the way.

Arnold

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 15:28

This is my actually version on letting spellcaster last a little longer.

Concentration: You are skilled in the use of magic. You are proficient in their spells and know their dangers and can avoid them more easily if you focus hard on them.
Rank 1: If you roll a 1 while casting, you may reroll that die. Only on a roll of 1-3 on the reroll do you suffer the mishap. Concentration is very tiring, you suffer 1 point of intelligence damage.

Rank 2: Your concentration improves. You only suffer the mishap on a 1-2 and are free to choose whether you take damage on Intelligence or Dexterity.

Rank 3: Your concentration becomes masterful. You roll a d8 from now on, continue to suffer the mishap on 1 and 2, and you no longer tire of your concentration.

Ishnigarrab
Topic Author

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 09:35

This is my actually version on letting spellcaster last a little longer.

Concentration: You are skilled in the use of magic. You are proficient in their spells and know their dangers and can avoid them more easily if you focus hard on them.
Rank 1: If you roll a 1 while casting, you may reroll that die. Only on a roll of 1-3 on the reroll do you suffer the mishap. Concentration is very tiring, you suffer 1 point of intelligence damage.

Rank 2: Your concentration improves. You only suffer the mishap on a 1-2 and are free to choose whether you take damage on Intelligence or Dexterity.

Rank 3: Your concentration becomes masterful. You roll a d8 from now on, continue to suffer the mishap on 1 and 2, and you no longer tire of your concentration.
Thank you for sharing. Interestingalternative.

I will think about it.

Melvin

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 10:02

The d8 is on the reroll in place of the d6('s?) with mishap result?

And, then again, if on the d8 they get a 6,7 or 8, it does raise the PL also? Or not because it' s a reroll for the mishap only?

Arnold

Wed 05 Oct 2022, 18:36

The d8 is on the reroll in place of the d6('s?) with mishap result?

Yes, absolutly.

And, then again, if on the d8 they get a 6,7 or 8, it does raise the PL also?

Yes again. We are talking about a level 3 talent, which all in all costs 18 XP (24 in my campaign, as i have risen the talent costs to 4).

Melvin

Thu 06 Oct 2022, 00:45

I really like the idea!