sandor7
Topic Author

skills

Thu 01 Sep 2022, 04:32

looking at the skills for the pregen characters, im confused by how skills work. Bastonb's Strength is 18 and Axes (str) is 7. he's strong, but not to good with a strength based skill? what is the relationship between skills and attributes?

Logen_Nein

Re: skills

Thu 01 Sep 2022, 05:03

I would imagine this will be explained in character creation, but my guess is that we will get "advances" or the like in skills based on profession and choice, perhaps modified (or with a base set by) the related attribute score.

VorpalMace

Thu 01 Sep 2022, 14:28

After a glance at the characfter sheets I'm pretty sure that skills have a starting value equal to half the attribute. Those skills that have higher values were improved from skill points/experience/whatever Dragonbane will have.

rennarda

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 13:19

However skills and attributes are linked, there seems to be an imbalance between the attributes. CHA has only 1 skill linked to it, WIL and CON have none!

I wonder how this is going to be addressed? Personally I'd like to see a longer skill list with some non-adventure skills that might be useful away from the dungeon, linked to these other attributes. Travelling plays a big part in other Free League games, so some wilderness skills would be welcome (along with rules to support them).

Logen_Nein

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 19:46

However skills and attributes are linked, there seems to be an imbalance between the attributes. CHA has only 1 skill linked to it, WIL and CON have none!

I wonder how this is going to be addressed? Personally I'd like to see a longer skill list with some non-adventure skills that might be useful away from the dungeon, linked to these other attributes. Travelling plays a big part in other Free League games, so some wilderness skills would be welcome (along with rules to support them).
WIL and CON are tied directly to Hit Points and Willpower, resources that all characters will need/use, so there is there benefit right there, let alone their uses as "saving throws" essentially. I'm betting CHA will be linked to one of the other spellcasting skills.

VorpalMace

Fri 09 Sep 2022, 12:18

Yeah, I agree about that. CHA could have been easily left out, but that's true about most BRP-based games too - if it has an APP stat it is usually usless and only affects some social skills, if it has CHA then it's the same with sometimes getting shoehorned into spellcasting further enforcing for me the feel that they could have been merged into POW.

In case of Dragonbane I doubt we will see another CHA core skill (Leadership or Oratory would be nice for handlign henchmen and masses). I do hope it will get used for some spellcasting skills.

videopete

Mon 12 Sep 2022, 21:35

If this is descended from BRP and Runequest with some Stormbringer then don't think of attributes setting the base score of the skills but rather each attribute contributes to modifiers and subattributes. The catch that while attributes can only go so high, skills in other BRP games can have skills rise above 100%/20(for d20 based versions) its just then you can split skill values for additional benefits. Such as for weapons multiple attacks, additional parrys, and special effects.
For example in Runequest attributes for humans caps 21, (max on the die roll plus amount of dice rolled ie 3d6=max 18 +3. Some versions have it at max roll plus minimum roll, which gives a larger spread for some races)

First Age

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 12:42

I hesitate to make too many suggestions before seeing the whole core game, especially the abilities, that will expand what a player character can do. Whereas I can probably work with the skills provided, there do seem to be areas where I would want a skill, that isn't easily covered by the current list without a 'stretch'.

I might have been tempted to simplify the combat skills as: Brawl, Melee, Marksmanship, Tactics. I appreciate the long BRP legacy of weapon skills though,

Here are some general skills that I feel like I want to add.

Skills: Craft (INT), Intimidation (WIL), Language (INT), Leadership (CHA), Lore (rename of Learning), Performance (CHA), Ride (AGL), Thievery (rename of Sleight of Hand)

I can blend these in to existing skill descriptions, but if you are going to have two perception skills then I think you can speciailise characters a little more with a broader list of skill areas. I'd be tempted to have Craft, Language & Lore specialities that give you a Boon.
First Age
https://fae.ttrpg.uk

Arioch1973

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 23:18

I hesitate to make too many suggestions before seeing the whole core game, especially the abilities, that will expand what a player character can do. Whereas I can probably work with the skills provided, there do seem to be areas where I would want a skill, that isn't easily covered by the current list without a 'stretch'.

I might have been tempted to simplify the combat skills as: Brawl, Melee, Marksmanship, Tactics. I appreciate the long BRP legacy of weapon skills though,

Here are some general skills that I feel like I want to add.

Skills: Craft (INT), Intimidation (WIL), Language (INT), Leadership (CHA), Lore (rename of Learning), Performance (CHA), Ride (AGL), Thievery (rename of Sleight of Hand)

I can blend these in to existing skill descriptions, but if you are going to have two perception skills then I think you can speciailise characters a little more with a broader list of skill areas. I'd be tempted to have Craft, Language & Lore specialities that give you a Boon.
I do agree with your changes to the skills there. and combat skills do not need to be separated by weapon type. You as you say do Brawl, Melee, Marksmanship.
An idea I had was that maybe you can specialize in specific weapon, like Melee (Broadsword). Giving you a boon or something when you use the familiar blade type.