wormyxl
Topic Author

Hunter's Instinct clarification

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:17

I did some searching if the forums but didn't find an answer to this...
In reading the Hunter's Instinct ability for hunters I'm a little confused as to how it functions. I get that I can use a bonus action to mark a target... Does that make last until I make another target? Do I need to mark it every round? Also, how does the reaction ranged attack function?... Are you able to make the attack any time anyone you see moves?

Spat

Re: Hunter's Instinct clarification

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 22:57

You can mark a creature only "if you don’t already have a chosen target".
So you mark a target, and it lasts until this creature is dead, or has escaped I would rule.
Each time you hit this creature you have a bonus to damage roll, and if you use a ranged weapon, each time this creature moves, you can use your Reaction (thus 1 / round) to try to hit it, when it starts moving (not on arrival).

Jacob Rodgers

Re: Hunter's Instinct clarification

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 19:56

Okay, let's work through some of Hunter's Instinct:

First, you can use your bonus action to mark a target. Then, while having a target marked, then the first time you do damage to the marked target, you add your proficiency bonus as damage to the target.

Furthermore, if you have a ranged weapon you can use your reaction to make an attack when that creature moves, counting the range of the creature as its original starting position.