jonathanpay
Topic Author

I've already got AiME, sell me on LOTR 5e?

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:20

Hello Free League,

Please share what are the selling points/offerings of this version of Middle-earth in 5e. I've already got AiME from the other publisher. Other than in support of my favourite publisher and key art (found in TOR anyway).
  • What's new?
  • What's gone?
  • What's changed?
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

samirvsmachine

Re: I've already got AiME, sell me on LOTR 5e?

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:33

Does LotR 5E Playtest have custom classes for the setting or it uses standard DnD classes? I'm just wondering before pre-ordering.

jonathanpay
Topic Author

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:38

Does LotR 5E Playtest have custom classes for the setting or it uses standard DnD classes? I'm just wondering before pre-ordering.
This is an OGL product, and not a regular D&D compatible product. Like Ruins of Symbaroum, or in this specific case, Adventures in Middle-earth which uses the core 5e rules but adapts entirely to the LOTR setting rather than the generic high-magic/fantasy settings of D&D.

So, what I'd like to see is a sort of spot the difference list between AiME and this edition, but that might be a bit too much to ask for!
Last edited by jonathanpay on Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Keladryel

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:39

Same classes and races from The One Ring

jonathanpay
Topic Author

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 16:47

Maybe this is something that Jacob Rodgers (if only there was a way to tag forum users!) could chime in on, if he's willing/able? I'm assuming he was involved, as he was brought in for Ruins of Symbaroum after his work with Adventures in Middle-earth.

Underwms

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 18:01

This is an OGL product, and not a regular D&D compatible product. Like Ruins of Symbaroum, or in this specific case, Adventures in Middle-earth which uses the core 5e rules but adapts entirely to the LOTR setting rather than the generic high-magic/fantasy settings of D&D.

So, what I'd like to see is a sort of spot the difference list between AiME and this edition, but that might be a bit too much to ask for!
I’d like the same thing. My guess is it’s just a facelift of AiME to the new look and feel of One Ring 2e.

jonathanpay
Topic Author

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 19:29

I’d like the same thing. My guess is it’s just a facelift of AiME to the new look and feel of One Ring 2e.
I'd really like that to be some changes. What has been learned from Adventures in Middle-earth, from Ruins of Symbaroum. Free League is better, in my estimation, then to just rehash content with new art. I'm excited to see and I hope that they share some of what those changes are that might excite people to get this.

Kozos

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 12:07

Hello all.
This is my first post in the forums and the reason I joined.
I have some AiME books and I am really curious as to why I should buy the new edition. Don't get me wrong, I love ToR 2e, but I also love the more traditional gameplay that D&D provides so I would really appreciate it if the creators provided some insight on what they have changed in the new edition.
Otherwise, I wouldn't mind if another member with access to the pdf made a few points.

vilainn6

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 17:55

Honestly? the game seems fine and those who never got the chance to buy AIME will probably have lot of fun with it but for the old timers I don't know.

The class are a bit boring. They cap at level 10 and don't have a lot of creative features compare to AIME class. 3 of them have sneak attack for example. I still haven't figured out what was the mechanical purpose of the messanger class.

On the bright side, LOTR 5e looks more like a direct conversion of TOR 2e while AIME was more D&D with TOR mechanics crammed into it. I like that a group have now a Fellowship pool, which grant advantage when spend or trigger patron's power. Travel and Council work the same as TOR 2e. Instead of fatigue, the journey events give modifiers to the final constitution save to see how many exhaustion you gain at the end of a travel phase.

The Scholar gains spell like powers called craft that are really cool and all of the other class can picks some instead of virtues. Speaking of virtues, The automatic ASI at level 4 got removed and integrated into the virtues. Acquiring Virtues and Rewards is now part of the class progression. I also like the removal of Inspiration or spending hit dice as cost to use virtues and magic items.

If you found AIME to be an imbalanced mess, this version will probably work better, However, If you are happy with what you already have, you can pass on this one and just collect futur supplements.

Kozos

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 18:13

Honestly? the game seems fine and those who never got the chance to buy AIME will probably have lot of fun with it but for the old timers I don't know.

The class are a bit boring. They cap at level 10 and don't have a lot of creative features compare to AIME class. 3 of them have sneak attack for example. I still haven't figured out what was the mechanical purpose of the messanger class.

On the bright side, LOTR 5e looks more like a direct conversion of TOR 2e while AIME was more D&D with TOR mechanics crammed into it. I like that a group have now a Fellowship pool, which grant advantage when spend or trigger patron's power. Travel and Council work the same as TOR 2e. Instead of fatigue, the journey events give modifiers to the final constitution save to see how many exhaustion you gain at the end of a travel phase.

The Scholar gains spell like powers called craft that are really cool and all of the other class can picks some instead of virtues. Speaking of virtues, The automatic ASI at level 4 got removed and integrated into the virtues. Acquiring Virtues and Rewards is now part of the class progression. I also like the removal of Inspiration or spending hit dice as cost to use virtues and magic items.

If you found AIME to be an imbalanced mess, this version will probably work better, However, If you are happy with what you already have, you can pass on this one and just collect futur supplements.
Thank you kindly. Can you provide an example of a "spell". What are the classes available? Is there a big difference between the "fighters" and the "non-fighters"?