Narl

Re: Riddermound Feedback

Tue 06 Sep 2022, 21:15

Monsters with weapons are able to parry, but the Death Knight is missing a skill rating for his morningstar.

ShaneM

Wed 07 Sep 2022, 00:22

I've just finished a run through with 4 people (no one played the Wolfkin).

I enjoyed the rules and we all had fun, but I have a slight concern with the construction of the scenario. The two main enemies are both either immune to (The Lady) or resistant to (The Death Knight) non-magical damage. With one magic sword available and the wizard's fireball, the other characters are very limited in the damage they can do to those enemies (fire only really). This was really unsatisfying for the elf player, as the character's profession ability was not really suitable for use in the scenario. I know there is a school of thought that says not everything needs to be balanced and / or fair, however if this is a show off the game quickstart there could really stand to be cool stuff for every character to do.

I would advise people running it to make sure the mage is picked, and I might be inclined if I run it again to give the elf 3 magic arrows to allow them to choose when to make a magic attack. the thief has plenty to do, and one of the warriors can get the magic sword, so all it well there. I would probably make sure the spider was encountered to ensure everyone got something they could fight fully against.

There are however some real positives. I really like the way the room descriptions are structured, with the short flavour text and the bulleted contents that are easy to scan down quickly. I liked the the implicit history stuff in the setting, and I also enjoyed the opportunity to roleplay the ghost and Grub a bit.

Overall a positive impression of the game and I would play again for sure, but this scenario I worry doesn't show it off in the best light.

Fenhorn

Wed 07 Sep 2022, 00:42

The scenario is not a typical starter scenario (in my opinion), it looks difficult and it deals with rather special monsters.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

VorpalMace

Wed 07 Sep 2022, 21:35

Not quite. It doesn’t mention “like an earthquake.” I think this one is open to interpretation. I took the wording to mean that a pillar rises from the floor/ground in order to keep a creative player from creating a 10-ft tall column in mid-air and having that drop on a foe. Also took “from” literally (ie the location of the base) instead of “out of” (ie created from the floor/ground).
My interpretation comes from the fact that the pillar raises whatever is standing on the ground and squeezes them to the ceiling if there is one in the way. Which also explains why it breaks portcullises and gates.

Jaz

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 00:19

The spell's description says it literally raises the ground or floor, like an earthquake. That opens up a whole can of worms for usability - and abuse.
Not quite. It doesn’t mention “like an earthquake.” I think this one is open to interpretation. I took the wording to mean that a pillar rises from the floor/ground in order to keep a creative player from creating a 10-ft tall column in mid-air and having that drop on a foe. Also took “from” literally (ie the location of the base) instead of “out of” (ie created from the floor/ground).

However, I dig your interpretation. Like the idea of a bunch of potholes and rubble being left after 15 min (a Stretch) instead of the column just going “poof.”
When I read the spell description, I immediately thought of Cryonis in Breath of the Wild (and that's also how I explained it to my daughters when playing with them: "This is Cryonis, but on land instead of water").

In other words, I've treated it as if the pillar rises out of the ground, but it isn't actually the matter that used to occupy the 1x1x3 m volume directly underneath that rises up. Rather, the magic (temporarily) creates new matter that is modeled after what exists beneath the place where the spell is cast, but that is rigid even if the natural matter is not (so that Pillar could be cast also on, say, soft earth). At the end of the spell duration, I will (we haven't gotten that far yet) probably have the pillar just dissipate. I suppose it could sink back down, but that raises unnecessary questions about what happens to things that have been inserted into the pillar.

Original AJ

Fri 23 Sep 2022, 12:13

The English language scenario has what are referred to as portcullises at the doorways to the Lady's Hall, The Swedish one has what translates via Google as grilled door, for which the correct term in English would be Yett ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yett ). I appreciate that yett is not a term likely to be recognised by most gamers, but portcullis gives entirely the wrong idea (implying a mechanism to raise it up into the ceiling rather than a hinged door) and grilled door would be better, or hinged grating, or similar.

VorpalMace

Fri 23 Sep 2022, 15:24

The English language scenario has what are referred to as portcullises at the doorways to the Lady's Hall, The Swedish one has what translates via Google as grilled door, for which the correct term in English would be Yett
The more you know! Thanks for the clarification!

PhilHendry

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 09:41

Where I grew up, a yett, or more usually yatt, is simply a gate.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Bonzzo15

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 20:27

Page 31 states different numbers of sarcophagi in the swedish and english versions, or rather, the swedish one states its "around ten" and then states it's seven. BUT the picture shows 10 sarcophagi, not seven.

RobJN

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 10:42

What is the scale on the map?