Viper007
Topic Author

Converting T2K4E to Modern Mercenary Game

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 05:17

While I really like the world of T2K4E, I have always envisioned a game that is modern based. A game that can use the world as it's playground, and one that allows multiple choice characters per mission or adventure. T2K4E has a pretty good handle on the combat aspect and such a game would not change it much, if any. However, I know it would require more developed background material and some changes to character creation to include characters that are not purely military (which it already does to an extent). An increase of specialized skills tied to maybe one or more abilities, and other things like modern equipment, weapons, etc.

Some of the things I plan are Contacts, Assets, Professions (for those that are part time), Lifestyles, Renown, Reputation, Foot and Car Chase Rules, Lists of Terrorists, Anti-Terrorists, Criminal (Cartels), PMC's, Intelligence Agencies and other Organizations. A mission creator and other aids to speed up a GM's job, etc.

My question is do you think this is viable using T2K4E as a base and what would you include or remove if you were thinking about something like this.

Midnightplat

Re: Converting T2K4E to Modern Mercenary Game

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 08:19

If you're doing a truly modern 2020s "modern game" you probably want to check out this thread and others like it about how 1980s perspective on 1990s projected cold war gear would probably have some not inconsiderable changes:

https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?t=9433

I'd also say T2K4E out of the box would only be able to capture the most austere combat environments. To bring it up to speed to represent modern combatants of either low or high intensity would be a huge undertaking to be done well. Doable but it would take a lot of work. You also may want to browse around DriveThruRPG T2K4E Community Content. I think folks have some modernized equipment list, resources for aerial assets, probably some drones etc.

You may also want to give the novel Heat 2, sequel to the film Heat, a read. There's some good stuff on the intersecton of globalized business, organized crime, milspec technology, etc. And there's a lot of material, albeit a bit romanitcized/sensationalized on the tri border region/zone in South America that could serve as a decent setting base.

All that said, if I were to do a "real world" system I'd probably reach out to Cyberpunk Red, strip out the cyber and scale it down. I think it's often easier more efficient to scale down a game, than it is to take a game and build systems - for aviation to include both air superiority and ground support), drones, much more ubiquitous imaging/optics, actual command and control systems, etc. Again, it's doable, systems can be designed, but they take time if done well, and it's often easier to take an existing system and scale it down. So it depends on whether you want to just play in a modern space or really put int he work to grow T2K4E into a modern setting.
Last edited by Midnightplat on Wed 28 Sep 2022, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

baldrick0712

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 08:45

You could have a look at this card game for some inspiration...

Warfighter: Private Military Company

Vcutter

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 10:00

As an engine, the system will probably do just fine when it comes to combat. There are other aspects that could probably be ignored, like travel/camp mechanics, unless you want to focus on those during long missions in unnamed jungles.
That being said the combat system is just the bones of a modern campaign. Like you mentioned other stuff are needed to highlight other aspects of modern "merc" style game: contacs, contracts, other economy than bartering, reconnaisance with modern methods etc.
Simply getting weapons in a foreign country as a civilian could be a huge part of the adventure itself or it could totally be ignored if you want to focus on simply "lets plan how we blow up the base and do it" -aspect. Add to this all the modern day gear and "no apocalypse so this exists" stuff and there is actually lot of lifting to do if you want to focus on more than combat with firearms.

Like Midnightplat said, doable, but a lot of work.

Viper007
Topic Author

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 04:40

Good replies, will take it all under consideration. Thanks very much!

claidheamh

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 16:30

Also from the Drive Thru RPG - you may want to look at the old GDW supplement "Merc:2000"
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20 ... enary-2000

This was Game Designers' Workshop version of the exact thing you're talking about - although for year 2000, not 2022. They also released a couple of supplements as well. The game Millenium's End was another, similar Merc focused one which you could mine for ideas and settings. I would steer clear of the game Recon and its modern supplement, which is basically just Soldier of Fortune magazine in barely coherent RPG format.

FatherJ_ct

Sat 15 Oct 2022, 02:28

Thank you claidheamh , I was going to mention that.

Viper007, you can also just use the 4th edition conversion rules for the older source books (like merc 2000).

Higgipedia

Tue 18 Oct 2022, 15:40

I would steer clear of the game Recon and its modern supplement, which is basically just Soldier of Fortune magazine in barely coherent RPG format.
The one thing I liked about it was the event tables in... Advanced Recon, I think... for after missions which tied changing political circumstances to the success or failure of your missions. I think something like that would be very useful for a mercenary sandbox with some adjustments.
DENNIS HIGGINS
Check out the Black Sheep War Journal in the Free League Workshop!

aramis

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 09:22

My question is do you think this is viable using T2K4E as a base and what would you include or remove if you were thinking about something like this.
It needs contacts, better comms gear, electronic warfare, sat recon, and drones.
And the newer models of vehicles.

So, rules-wise, comms and EW. And a wider variety of backgrounds.

The T2K 2e supplement, "Merc:2000" provided the equivalent in the early 1990's, while still casting itself ahead to 2000 but without WW III.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Viper007
Topic Author

Fri 28 Oct 2022, 05:56

Thanks again for more information, I sometimes forget about things easily and more modern items seem to be most of them. As far as electronic warfare, could you give me some more information as to what exactly that would entail?