Dusseault
Topic Author

Xeno Sig Attacks without attack rolls?

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 22:13

I've read through the core book twice and got myself all set up on Roll20 for some ALIEN action, but I was hoping to get some clarification on a certain type of xeno signature attack. There are several that are similar, but an example is as follows. Before I go any further, let me state that I do understand xenomorphs do not simply roll standard attacks. I understand that they use their signature attacks only, and which signature attack is used is determined by the role of a d6. Totally get that part. What I'm confused about is the wording of certain signature attacks.

For example, with Stalker, Scout and Drone, a roll of 2 on a d6 means the following signature attack:
2. PLAYING WITH ITS PREY: The Xeno attacks, but not to kill. The target is knocked to the ground
and drops all hand-held items, but otherwise takes no damage. The Xeno morph stands over
them, taunting its prey to run so the game can go on. The victim gets +1 STRESS LEVEL and
must make an immediate Panic Roll.
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the xeno does not roll to see if it gets any successes, and so the opponent does not have a chance to resists this attack. It just happens, with 100% chance of success every time a 2 comes up on the signature attack roll for any of these xeno types?
Last edited by Dusseault on Sun 25 Sep 2022, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Re: [Moved] Xeno Sig Attacks without attack rolls?

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 22:20

Moderator Action: Moved the thread to the GM section because it contains spoiler information.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

_ArthurDallas_

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 23:01

YES xenomorph when they are near someone, they don't roll to see if it gets a success, you roll 1d6 with the "signature attack" twice in a turn (xeno have speed 2, so it's 2 attacks in an initiative roll).

When a xeno is near someone or a group, for sure, death is not far ...

Dusseault
Topic Author

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 23:09

YES xenomorph when they are near someone, they don't roll to see if it gets a success, you roll 1d6 with the "signature attack" twice in a turn (xeno have speed 2, so it's 2 attacks in an initiative roll).

When a xeno is near someone or a group, for sure, death is not far ...
I appreciate the info! Not exactly what I'm asking though. I understand that you roll a d6 to see which attack is going to occur. But some of those attacks use base dice to see if they succeed or not. The above example that I gave does not mention any base dice. It simply states that the effect happens. So what I'm wondering is, am I missing something, or do effects such as the one I indicated, automatically occur? Are they simply narrated as a unavoidable effect? Or is there some other mechanic that I am missing? I'm perfectly okay with the lethality of the game. What I'm confused about is that certain xeno attacks mention using base dice, and others do not. Is this an oversight on the part of Free League, or is it intentional and these attacks just automatically incur the effects listed with zero chance of avoidance?

What I'm hoping is that someone can point out that this question has already been asked and that Dev has already weighed in. Or, maybe a Dev will take note of this and weigh in now. Or someone who has seen something in the books that I'm missing will weigh in.

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 26 Sep 2022, 01:46

Let me explain it again in a different way. You always use the "signature attack" of a xeno in CLOSE range (ENGAGE OR SHORT RANGE). I mean ALWAYS. There is no other way to deal with this. The core book says to use the signature attack in close range (100% chance of success any time). BUT as a Game Mother you can choose anything you want serving your narrative story. You can decide that the xeno is going away for any reason you want (heard a noise) OR if a player has a great idea maybe I'm gonna take/use it in this situation ...

Now, if you're using the signature attack and you roll (2) then you can improvise something different (PLAYING WITH ITS PREY ... it's a general idea ...) like the xeno has blocked a character in a corner instead of pushing him on the ground ... meaning you may change the description of the attack if you want. Your xeno has instincts and he is damn clever so improvise this way serving as I said your narrative story ...

Hope it helps.
Enjoy your games.

pfarland

Mon 26 Sep 2022, 02:40

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the xeno does not roll to see if it gets any successes, and so the opponent does not have a chance to resists this attack. It just happens, with 100% chance of success every time a 2 comes up on the signature attack roll for any of these xeno types?
Yep, 100% chance. Xeno's are NASTY in CLOSE.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

Dusseault
Topic Author

Mon 26 Sep 2022, 13:19

Yep, 100% chance. Xeno's are NASTY in CLOSE.
Gotcha! It just seems so weird to me that their head bite is only a chance to hit, whereas the knockdown and drag away thing is a guarantee. I mean, I know as a GM, we can alter things as we see fit or if they don't make sense to us, but, I would imagine, if the goal of the cinematic scenario is lethality and survival horror, that the head bite would be 100% success when it occurs on the d6, and the drag away or knock down thing would be the action with a roll to see if it succeeds. Either way, I appreciate the input. Thank you guys all for chiming in!

pfarland

Mon 26 Sep 2022, 17:03

I think the lethality is the reason to roll for a Brain Munch vs. not to roll for a Knockdown. Both ways give the character a chance, if slim. And any time bud.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 26 Sep 2022, 22:26

I agree with this ... the lethality is the reason to roll for Brain-Bite vs not to roll for a knockdown or a drag-away. Give a chance to a character to stay in the game ....

Dusseault
Topic Author

Wed 05 Oct 2022, 23:39

I agree with this ... the lethality is the reason to roll for Brain-Bite vs not to roll for a knockdown or a drag-away. Give a chance to a character to stay in the game ....
Oh I agree, I definitely think there should be a roll for the headbite/insta-death attacks. My problem is I think there should be a roll for ALL xeno attacks. I mean, yes, they are badass and incredibly deadly, but if there's a roll for a insta-kill, there should also be a roll for a knockdown and drag attack. Anyway, I'm playing it RAW for now. We'll see how it goes. :-)