marcraygun
Topic Author

Feats

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 12:02

Does the game use only feats from the ruins of symbaroum PHB or also feats from original PHB?

Spat

Re: Feats

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 09:43

I understand them as being replacement of the ones from PHB.
For example there is a Grappler feat for Warrior in RoS, which is useful only if the PHB's one is obsolete.

marcraygun
Topic Author

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 17:53

While we are at it is am confused as to boons are they are featured or something Else?
Last edited by marcraygun on Sat 24 Sep 2022, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Midnightplat

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 19:11

I don't understand the second question, but as tot he first question re: feats and Ruins of Symbaroum for 5e, the answer is that when a third party, in this case Free League, produces content for 5e, they are not using the PHB as basis but the 5e OGL's System Reference Document, the SRD. The SRD is a very stripped down representation of the 5e rules, designed to provide the mechanics of 5e for developers to build whatever they want on top of it. Most 5e races, subclasses, feats and backgrounds and many monsters and spells and magic items aren't in the SRD.

The nature of the SRD is made more clear in its FAQ where it specifically touches upon the SRD's lack of backgrounds and feats:
Why does the SRD only have one background and one feat? Why do the PC races not include all of the subraces? The goal of the SRD is to allow users to create new content, not to replicate the text of the whole game. We encourage players, DMs, and publishers to come up with their own backgrounds and feats.
In other words, technically third party books like Ruins of Symbaroum for 5e aren't designed to be integrated into a WotC 5e D&D rules as written game. In other words, beyond the mechanics of the base classes, the book is designed to replace the player options in the PHB, not expand them. Yes, many folks will kitbash a third party book with the WotC RAW with varying success, keep in mind that many of these works are actually designed to play differently than what WotC developed from the SRD foundation.

So as designed, you're supposed to use the feats in the Ruins of Symbaroum book.

marcraygun
Topic Author

Sat 24 Sep 2022, 22:23

Sorry I meant boons didn't realise it corrected to books lol, I basically am not sure if they count as feats or something else

samirvsmachine

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 08:37

Boons and Burdens count as feats.

zook

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 00:19

In symbaroum you can take burden to get extra 5 exp, which can be exchanged for boon or keep. So I will say Boons and Burdens are special feat wich can be taken in pairs extra to normal feats.

Jacob Rodgers

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 19:40

Boons and Burdens are feats that Ruins of Symbaroum characters can take when they are normally eligible for a feat. In the case of a burden, you gain the specified bonus in addition to whatever the burden specifies. You can use the burden during roleplay to earn yourself inspiration.