Bonzzo15

Re: Dragonbane Quickstart Feedback

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 22:03

The DoD '84 used squares as a measurement for movement allowance and ranges (for spells they actually listed both squares and meters). Unless there is a special reason that we don't know yet, I would go with squares instead for meters when listing movement ranges.
The movement is based around meters, and if you want to play in some kind of consistent scaling (like I do) I want to know how they scaled their stuff themselves. It might not be 100% correct or anything but if they use a 25mm square and it equals 2x2m and on that square they place 25mm cardboard standees, then I can know how “heroic” their scale is. Like how exaggerated the characters are compared to the basing and so forth.

Narl

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 01:17

I like that it is in meters rather than squares. My group plays "theater of the mind" and it is much easier to describe things in terms of meters and have everyone visualize that and also know exactly how many rounds it might take to get to an enemy.

Using squares as a default and on the character sheet would suggest miniatures are expected, which can put off a lot of groups that really prefer not to use them.

Original AJ

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 11:43

Ran a session of the Riddermound. We all liked it. However having the squares be 2 meters vs Range and Movement numbers seems silly. Either half the range and Move numbers or just call everything spaces and move on. Why, when the rest of this game is so simple do we have to half range and movement numbers every single time we want to use them on the map?!
I was counting a move to a connecting square as 2 and a diagonal one as 3.