Kaybe
Topic Author

Questions on Healing

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 05:24

Hello!

The whole healing section kinda baffles me. I'm reading and rereading this section over and over and I'm surprised these questions aren't coming up more often in forums. Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way. But right now, the only one rule that for me is 100% clear is the Treat Critical Injury rule. Pretty straight forward. The rest though ...

1) The rest/activity section says you can engage in a restful activity with another PC (although later says it can be with an NPC too) for a short scene, and you (not the other person) can then heal up two conditions, once per day. Now ... is that once per day per character or for the whole party? Can the group go have a couple of drinks at the tavern to heal up one PC, and then do some quiet reading at the local library to heal another character, and then take a walk in the park to heal a third character, all in the same day? And for that matter, how long is each scene?

2) The Heal Physical/Mental Conditions requires the doctor and all patients be out of commission for the whole day, and only then heal three conditions if the healer succeeds on his or her roll. If the patient is in bed all day, does that mean they cannot use the rest activity above? Because choosing between 3 condition clears that may fail, or two condition clears that are automatically successful and allow you to get on with your day, the choice seems really really obvious.

3) Healing conditions via a paid medical service is done in lieu of a rest activity above, correct? You can't do both? So does that mean you have to choose between two free condition clears OR whatever condition removal is done by the paid service/establishment? Or do you get the services of that establishment ON TOP of the two free condition clears? Or perhaps only one person counts it as an activity and gets the two free condition clears? Ugh. That whole paragraph hurts my brain.

4) Semi related: The coin costs for each service and establishment ... is that on a per character basis, or is that the cost for the whole group to take advantage? A personal doctor is kinda pricy, although I imagine the cost might cover a Broken fix and two removal clears spread across anyone present rather than just focused on one individual maybe? And then there's stuff like hostel/hotel rooms and train rides. 3 'coin' *per person* is pretty ouchy.

Thanks.

Fenhorn

Re: Questions on Healing

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 08:40

1) The rest/activity section says you can engage in a restful activity with another PC (although later says it can be with an NPC too) for a short scene, and you (not the other person) can then heal up two conditions, once per day. Now ... is that once per day per character or for the whole party? Can the group go have a couple of drinks at the tavern to heal up one PC, and then do some quiet reading at the local library to heal another character, and then take a walk in the park to heal a third character, all in the same day? And for that matter, how long is each scene?
How long a scene is will be up to the GM to decide. The important part with this is that some time passes in the mystery. So for example if two PCs have some drinks at the tavern to heal one of the PCs, that might be what they are doing for that evening, the other PCs are doing something else and after all the PCs have done that, it is night or late evening of the GM thinks that is more appropriate.
2) The Heal Physical/Mental Conditions requires the doctor and all patients be out of commission for the whole day, and only then heal three conditions if the healer succeeds on his or her roll. If the patient is in bed all day, does that mean they cannot use the rest activity above? Because choosing between 3 condition clears that may fail, or two condition clears that are automatically successful and allow you to get on with your day, the choice seems really really obvious.
Scenes takes time, so here we are taking about two PCs spending an evening talking to each other in a tavern so one of them can heal 2 conditions compared to if both of them spending in a bed so they can heal 3+ conditions (depending on success on the skill roll).
3) Healing conditions via a paid medical service is done in lieu of a rest activity above, correct? You can't do both? So does that mean you have to choose between two free condition clears OR whatever condition removal is done by the paid service/establishment? Or do you get the services of that establishment ON TOP of the two free condition clears? Or perhaps only one person counts it as an activity and gets the two free condition clears? Ugh. That whole paragraph hurts my brain.
You do one thing in each scene.
4) Semi related: The coin costs for each service and establishment ... is that on a per character basis, or is that the cost for the whole group to take advantage? A personal doctor is kinda pricy, although I imagine the cost might cover a Broken fix and two removal clears spread across anyone present rather than just focused on one individual maybe? And then there's stuff like hostel/hotel rooms and train rides. 3 'coin' *per person* is pretty ouchy.
Services applies to the whole party.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Kaybe
Topic Author

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 16:38

Okay, so after rereading it some more after this post, lol, I think I'll play it this way:

- The rest activity can be used once per day *per character*. Still takes a scene and still only heals one character during that scene. Scenes are a time sink, so even if all characters can take their own scene to heal, as a GM, I'd limit the number of total scenes per day and also make sure players understand that while they spend the day partying in different places, the world keeps turning, events keep unfolding, and yet more brutally ripped apart corpses are found. If I find players trying to 'speed run' their way through multiple scenes, I'll be sure the bad guys/vaesen also speed run their way through their goals, lol.

- Anyone healing or being healed via the all day healing actions can still benefit from their individual once a day free healing scene. Otherwise, the all day healing is utterly pointless. The way I see it, it's meant to be used when several party members are really banged up and need the extra top off on a successful medicine/inspiration roll. Still takes up a scene each, mind you.

- Mementos can only be used individually once per mystery to heal a single condition as intended, but unlike the other healing options, it can be used in combat as a fast action. It's basically a quick oh-shit heal.

- Services and Establishments are just regular rest/activities that cost money and give an *added* benefit to the group. So like regular activities, only one character can get his two free daily condition clears, but anyone in the group going with them can benefit from the added bonuses, split among them. I'm fairly certain that's how it's intended, but the phrasing they use is just really poor. Cost for each paid activity is for the whole group, with benefits split. So taking a train ride would give your whole group a cabin as well as three condition clears to share for a total of 3 coin.

One thing that always nags at me is WHY anyone would buy the castle upgrades that heal conditions once per mystery. There's no high speed rail here, so going to and from the castle would be AT LEAST an all day venture. Only reason I'd see this ever being used is if a single character is an utterly exhausted stressed wreck with 5+ total conditions that just badly needs to get out of dodge for a bit to heal up via transportation, their free daily scene, and castle upgrades.

Fenhorn

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 17:17

• Treat critical injury - Turn - Can be used only on broken characters.
  • Heal physical Conditions - Day - Heals three physical conditions per success achieved by the skill user, including broken. This takes all day and you can't do anything else that day.
  • Heal mental Conditions - Day - Heals three mental conditions per success achieved by the skill user, including broken. This takes all day and you cant' do anything else that day.
  • Rest - Scene - Heals two conditions, except broken. Can be done once per day only and you need to have another PC (or friendly NPC) in the scene to talk to.
I should also say that the book say:
  • While you are treating the conditions of others, you yourself may not receive treatment.
      A patient cannot treat have her physical or mental conditions treated by more than one person at a time, but a patient can be treated for his physical conditions by one person and for his mental conditions by another person..
    Scene here is a little bit of an abstract time term, but in this game, the players investigate a mystery and they do so one scene after another. So if one PC1 want to rest and PC2 is willing to spend a scene with him to do so, they can and PC1 will heal two conditions. PC2 is the one who is treating PC1 and will not heal anything. PC3 and PC4 can during that time do something else or of course just wait, but that is a little bit of a waste of time. A mystery have a 'clock' built into it. As time goes by, the GM will progress the mystery. This mystery clock is there keep the pressure on the players to really not waste time or not getting injured.
    “Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Penda

Wed 22 Dec 2021, 06:27

Thank you, Fenhorn!

Alexey Furman

Tue 20 Sep 2022, 14:16

Hi everybody! We have been playing Vaesen with friends for a bit (ran three or four adventures), and from what we have experienced, disabling a character for a whole day seems pretty excessive. The general rule for adventures in Vaesen is that the faster you deal with things, the better for everybody. So we tried to resolve most mysteries within a 24-hour period (sometimes it takes a little longer, of course). That means that somebody broken early on will inevitably miss all the interesting action. Has anybody here indeed kept one (or several) of their characters in bed for a whole day? Cheers!