ErikSonOfEliah
Topic Author

Magical success on Travel rolls

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 14:37

Hi everyone, just curious how you would all play this out in your game. My dwarf player took the "Broken Spells" cultural virtue and is going to choose Travel as one of his chosen skills. How would you rule him getting magical successes on things like marching tests or rolling to reduce fatigue at the end of a journey? Just curious how Magic applies to these more mechanical skill tests. Thank you!

gyrovague

Re: Magical success on Travel rolls

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 17:46

Hi everyone, just curious how you would all play this out in your game. My dwarf player took the "Broken Spells" cultural virtue and is going to choose Travel as one of his chosen skills. How would you rule him getting magical successes on things like marching tests or rolling to reduce fatigue at the end of a journey? Just curious how Magic applies to these more mechanical skill tests. Thank you!
On a stormy, cold day (or a dark and stormy night) a small break in the clouds results sunshine and warmth, but only on the companions, nowhere else.

A fruit tree or berry patch is found. It's not in seasons, but full of ripe fruit anyway.

A hidden glade is found that instills a sense of peace and security, and everybody sleeps especially well.

A steep and rocky climb is somehow not tiring.

"Odd...this morning the food supply looks like it did yesterday, as if we didn't eat anything. I must be remembering it wrong."

Harlath

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 23:13

I normally treat a magical result as at least an extra 6, adjusting for circumstances. And magic can frequently achieve what even a great success or better can't. Legolas accurately counting and describing Eomer and his companions even at a great distance is a good example, or Legolas walking on snow (can't be replicated even with the best Athletics result).

But I find the "minimum of an extra 6, and think about what could be special about a magical success" is a fast and fun rule of thumb. And mimics the 1e version of Skill of the Eldar, where a Gandalf rune was counted as an extra 6. Makes for an easy parallel as the 2e Skill of the Eldar creates a magical success.

gyrovague

Sat 17 Sep 2022, 17:07

Oh, was the question how to mechanically implement it? I thought they were asking what it would mean in the fiction.

Harlath

Sat 17 Sep 2022, 18:12

Oh, was the question how to mechanically implement it? I thought they were asking what it would mean in the fiction.
I think it was more mechanically focused, based on this: "How would you rule him getting magical successes on things like marching tests or rolling to reduce fatigue at the end of a journey? Just curious how Magic applies to these more mechanical skill tests. Thank you!" :)

gyrovague

Sat 17 Sep 2022, 21:32

I think it was more mechanically focused, based on this: "How would you rule him getting magical successes on things like marching tests or rolling to reduce fatigue at the end of a journey? Just curious how Magic applies to these more mechanical skill tests. Thank you!" :)
Interesting. We are obviously reading it differently. I interpreted “mechanical” to mean “imposed by the rules”, rather than the result of an action declaration.

Dunheved

Sun 18 Sep 2022, 11:07

It is probably only me, but I am getting the impression that Magical Effects are talked about as if they were more like the Supernatural at work than in the first edition.
I am a lot closer to (was it Arthur C Clarke who said Something like this?) " Any scientific phenomenon which is not understood will be described as due to the workings of a Magical Agency." I very much prefer to narrate the appearance of Magic as the application of high Skill - Athletic, Observation, Logic, Craft. Some people seem to be naturally quicker or slicker than others - and good luck to them! (Except, it's not luck when the skill is used properly)

Physical manifestations of exceptional Athletic skill (running lightly across snow) is not magic; it's one of the features of inherent elvish balance and coordination. Non-Elvish Cultures cannot do this, because they are built differently - often wearing lumpy old boots as well! Camels don't have supernatural toes to cross sand: they have different toes. Certain squirrels can glide between the trees, other squirrels can't. It's just a physical difference.

Mental manifestations include Experience and Practice. It's not Supernatural to predict the weather if you simply look at the clouds, or be aware of the indicators of approaching rain. (Other features - like empathy - would give an individual their special ability with Riddle, Enhearten, Awe or Insight)

With that in mind, a good Guide like our dwarf may be exactly that: a weather watcher. Rolling a Gandalf for him is merely being able to notice a build up of Cumulus in the sky, and KNOWING that today would be a good day to walk along the more sheltered sides of hills, rather than, say, the ridgeline. On a different, clearer day, the ridgeline would give a better view to see the layout of the land ahead (and the guide would pick the more energy efficient route). If it's foggy or misty at the start of the day then the Guide's advantages cannot apply. So a good Guide delays breaking camp and the Journey takes longer, unless they have some inside knowledge about travelling accurately in a fog (It can be done btw)