Andwise
Topic Author

Wondrous Items, rolling the same blessing twice

Tue 13 Sep 2022, 22:31

I rolled for a Wondrous item which has two blessings. I got 5 and then 5 which would be a Ring of Riddle (+2d on Riddle roles) and for the second blessing got the same thing! another 5 and a 6.
So, I could just roll again, or perhaps this is an exceptionally mysterious item which grants 4d?! or 3d? for Riddle. How do you interpret it if you roll the same thing twice?
BTW, my character has 0 for Riddle currently. I also want to make this useful to the characters overarching quest of finding the killer of his father and brother. Could Riddle be used to figure out things like that? He has a few clues, the sword they were killed with, and has been "cursed to not like what you will find out" but not much else. I guess rolling Riddle would help get more clues?
Ideas?

Otaku-sempai

Re: Wondrous Items, rolling the same blessing twice

Tue 13 Sep 2022, 23:19

You're rolling for two Blessings on a single Wondrous item, right? Since 2e dispenses with the concept of Greater Blessings, I think I'd just re-roll the second Blessing.
#FideltyToTolkien

Andwise
Topic Author

Tue 13 Sep 2022, 23:33

Thanks, yeah it is a single item with two blessings, using 2e rules. I rolled the exact same blessing twice and thought that was kind of cool and maybe I should make it just one blessing but double its power or something. Maybe I got the terminology wrong. It is a single enchanted object with two blessings. p160-162 in the core book.
Thanks!

Dunheved

Wed 14 Sep 2022, 02:55

Looking for the murderers of a family member seems like this could be a Strider mode query (?)
If so, you can naturally choose to make it a really effective and single purpose Wonderous Object or decide for a more general +2d and get a second Common Skill enhanced by the same margin, as the game is very personal to,you and your enjoyment.

In terms of effectiveness, I would be sure to take two skills each with a +2d bonus, rather than one skill at +4d. When your PC levels up Riddle from 0 to 1, the ring makes the Riddle ability go from 1 to 3. So for only a very few Skill Points your PC can operate at level 3. By taking Otaku Sempai's advice (and I fully agree with him) you can repeat this with a totally different second skill.

Maybe something in sympathy with the Riddle skill: Insight or Persuade would be my first thoughts. That way it could be more flexible in finding answers for your PC quest.

Andwise
Topic Author

Wed 14 Sep 2022, 16:35

Thanks for the advice, Dunheved. You guessed it. It is indeed Strider Mode but I've only been adapting some of the Strider mode rules (not using the 18 minus rating for TN, because I use the same character in another group game, etc.) Also the question is valid in any mode. If the enchanted item is allowed two blessings and you roll the same thing do you make it more powerful at that one thing or re roll for the second blessing. I like your advice that the best choice strategically would be to re roll and have 2d in something else related. Thanks.
Having so much fun playing Strider mode. I have also been getting inspiration from some Ironsworn oracles and made my own set of oracles as well (with a lot more specific Tolkien Lore from my own reading). I never would have thought that solo RPGs could be so fun!