pfarland
Topic Author

Marine Mission

Sun 28 Aug 2022, 09:02

I've got an idea for a Colonial Marine Mission. I'm looking to see if there is interest before fleshing it out. I don't have a group yet so if there isn't interest, there isn't a reason to invest the time, so he it is:

I'm thinking of fleshing out a map for a UPP Kremlin Class. The mission is that there is a damaged one adrift that the PCs unit is ordered to board and retrieve intel as well as the computer core. Preferably this is played with seasoned PCs and players. You want them to have had run ins with XX121 and preferably even Spores and Black Goo. The focus is going to be entirely atmosphere driven encouraging the players to be expecting SOMETHING to be amiss when the only enemy there is are a handful of UPP Marines trying to scuttle their ship before the better armed Colonial Marines complete theirs.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

Midnightplat

Re: Marine Mission

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 06:32

I mean, "if you build it they will come" as someone once said over and over again in the movie Field of Dreams. I wouldn't not design a scenario that interests you because you have no one to play it with in the moment. If it maintains your interest, the design itself should be fulfilling for your gamer hobby itch. On a practical standpoint, I've always found it easier to find players to sign up for something, and as a player a willingness to sign up, if the scenario is actually ready to go. With an undeveloped idea, you could get interest, but that interest flags if design time draws out.

I'm the GM for a couple of regular groups. If I see a sort of punctuation mark in a campaign, or endpoint to a particular game on the horizon, I ask the group if they're interested in trying a new system/game out. When I propose them, I have the scenarios already on hand to make prep all the more seamless.

pfarland
Topic Author

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 23:30

Don't get me wrong, I am "writing" it up for myself. I use the term 'writing' very loosely as my own notes are horrifically fractious. Writing it up in a manner for others to actually parse since they don't have my internal notes so to speak is a different matter. I tend towards heavy stat and handout notes and pretty much nonexistent on backstory, roleplay, and atmosphere notes since this live easily in my head. Since my own writing leans quite a bit on the 'Mad Scientist' side vs. needing to put an effort into making it more professional for people. I don't mind the effort in the least, in fact if it would be used, I'd love to make the effort. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a wasted effort.

And I'm not coming down on your reply, what you said had a lot of wisdom in it and I frankly completely agree that working on it does 'scratch the itch' a bit and is fun in its own way as well as makes it easier to get the ball rolling on a campaign.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

Iceman

Mon 12 Sep 2022, 07:27

Some groups would really go for an adventure like that, where they creep themselves out unnecessarily, but others would feel the bait-n-switch nature is uncool.
I just started my Colonial Marine campaign, so I'm not sure where my group falls in total, but I know one player would totally applaud the inversion of expectation. The rest? Not sure yet. They're certainly not going to be seeing xenomorphs on every adventure in this campaign, so we'll see what they're like by the end.

The big thing is to make sure that the adventure, as a whole, is still worthwhile and has its own rewards, beyond the parts where the players/pcs freak themselves out.
Cause it has the potential to be a let-down, obviously. So make sure the payoff is very cool despite that.

Novaknight

Sun 26 Feb 2023, 00:22

Oh man thank you I've been trying to come up with a Space Assault Mission myself and this really helps narrow what I want to do down a bunch. Love the subverting expectations part of this.
If you've worked on this anymore I'd love to see where you went with it

_ArthurDallas_

Tue 28 Feb 2023, 18:39

A made (5 decks) maps of the Kremlin Destroyer here :https://www.reddit.com/r/alienrpg/comme ... ecks_maps/

Feel free to use them for your scenario.