Vader

Re: Future licensed games?

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 14:23

I can't recall there ever having been a TTRPG specifically tied to the Mad Max property. Much because, I suspect, the "lore" of the Mad Max setting isn't all that opaque or intricate, and there already was Aftermath, Gamma World, Morrow Project, the original T2k, Danger International, so on, so forth, that people could use to play in "that" setting, or one similar enough to scratch that post-apocalyptic itch.

It is only nowadays that having the game explicitly carry the brand of the setting/property that we play in has become an end unto itself, or so it seems. Back in the early days — even though there was a bunch of licensed games — most often, we just had to "make do and mend"...
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Vader

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 14:46

... the current situation in Ukraine makes the prospect of running T2K a little too depressing for me. Plus, I don't think a "modern day" military RPG would appeal to any of my friends/players, either. But if the system were adjusted to a slightly more distant (if equally disturbing) post-apocalyptic future, then I might be willing to give it a shot.

Interesting. I must confess, my perspective is fairly diametrically the opposite.

The very spatial and temporal proximity of current events really throws the pressing urgency of our strategic geopolitical predicament into sharp relief (or it should, anyway), thereby making the idea of a near-future military-setting RPG in which to explore and digest that ... well, anxiety, if you will, feel all that much more engaging.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

TwiceBorn

Fri 09 Sep 2022, 00:20

... the current situation in Ukraine makes the prospect of running T2K a little too depressing for me. Plus, I don't think a "modern day" military RPG would appeal to any of my friends/players, either. But if the system were adjusted to a slightly more distant (if equally disturbing) post-apocalyptic future, then I might be willing to give it a shot.

Interesting. I must confess, my perspective is fairly diametrically the opposite.

The very spatial and temporal proximity of current events really throws the pressing urgency of our strategic geopolitical predicament into sharp relief (or it should, anyway), thereby making the idea of a near-future military-setting RPG in which to explore and digest that ... well, anxiety, if you will, feel all that much more engaging.
I'm not denying that current events would make a game of T2K feel that much more engaging. But, it's just not something I care to engage with at the moment (nor would my friends). I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for many years now, and I just don't think T2K would be good for my mental health. And yes, I realize the irony of that statement given that I'd be willing to run or play all sorts of other dark fantasy and post-apocalyptic games.