Priscian
Topic Author

"Time limit" in Council

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 03:25

Hello,
Is the Time limit the total number of rolls the Company is entitled to make in order to obtain a number of successes at least equal to (resistance rating + tengwars obtained on the introduction roll)?
And if so, this total number of rolls can be attempted by anyone in the Company (meaning the same character could technically do all of them -- not saying it's ideal...) ?
Thanks

Andwise

Re: "Time limit" in Council

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 18:23

I was kind of confused by Council as well. Here is what I think it is, but maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
1. Set the Resistance (reasonable 3, bold 6, or outrageous 9). Let's say it is reasonable for this example, so Resistance of 3.
2. Introduction. Select a spokesperson. Have them do a skill roll (for example, Marigold (a hobbit) would use RIDDLE (but could also use AWE or COURTESY), which for her is rank 3, so a D12 and 3D6, with the Wits TN of 16. If she succeeds then the time limit is still 3 (kind of a weird extra step if you ask me). Lets say she also gets a 6 on the skill dice so that makes the time limit now 4 with the resistance 3. I'm not sure though. So now she has to get 3 successful rolls in 4 tries. !?
3. Interaction. I think this is now where she rolls 4 times and tries to get 3 successes. 6 on d6 also count as a success. Also, (not sure) maybe if she rolls a 12 she is successful for the whole council, regardless. For this stage she could use, ENHEARTEN, INSIGHT, PERSUADE, RIDDLE, or SONG I think.

Anyway, I could be quite wrong but that's how it seems to me. It also seems like too many steps. First figure out this number. Then roll to see if it is that number or higher, then that becomes your number of rolls and roll again that many times to get a certain number of successes. And while doing this the LM may also modify -1d6 or +1d6! (for reluctant or friendly councils).
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sebastian

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 08:57

Keep in mind, that Councils (and Skill endeavors) got revised in Ruins of the lost realm). A resistance of 9 is for advanced heroes actually easier to achieve than a resistance of 3.

Andwise

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 15:55

What's the new revised rule then? Is it in the errata?
Thanks

Harlath

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 17:28

What's the new revised rule then? Is it in the errata?
Thanks
It is in the Ruins of the Lost Realm, and is an alternate rule rather than errata. This is presumably why it doesn't appear in the errata pdf.

That said, the errata's maths makes much more sense. It essentially separates out "Attempts allowed" and "Successes Required" altogether for both skill endeavours and councils, rather than making them increase on a 1:1 basis as in the core rules. That caused the mathematical oddity where at moderate to high dice pools you were actually more likely to succeed at Skill Endeavours/Councils that were supposed to be more challenging.

Alternate rules:
Council time limit is 3 if introduction fails, otherwise 4 + successes.
Skill Endeavours: set time limit at 3/4/5/6 based on the circumstances/challenge level desired.

Andwise

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 21:16

That seems like a better way to do councils. It fixes the probability problem and also makes for less dice rolling. Rolling 9 times is a bit excessive. (plus the other rolls before that!).
Thanks

Harlath

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 22:46

That seems like a better way to do councils. It fixes the probability problem and also makes for less dice rolling. Rolling 9 times is a bit excessive. (plus the other rolls before that!).
Thanks
It's a great change, agreed. I had adopted a similar approach as standard but nice to see it given an official seal of approval and in a way that works with various Cultural Blessings.