Thranduil's Elk

Re: Free League announces The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying for 5E

Tue 23 Aug 2022, 00:56

Well, we can't stand the ToR rules and have been playing this game using White Box so I can't see much issue with converting it to 5e. I think it depends on exactly what people want from their Middle Earth Roleplaying experience. We just want to game in Middle Earth. I don't need a bunch of gimmicky mechanics and unnecessary dice rolls for journeys, councils, etc. to slavishly recreate the books. I'm grounded enough in the lore and setting details that I can create that feel myself without all the rules getting in the way of smooth gameplay. We can roleplay that stuff. Likewise, none of my players, all of whom have basic familiarity with older versions of D&D, have any interest in learning a whole new game system. But I like the feel of the ToR materials and settings, scenarios, etc., are good. It's just the mechanics we don't care for. But we've borrowed a few things from ToR to make it specific enough and add that Middle Earth spin so that the classes feel different. We even found a way to incorporate the feat dice in a cool way.

Not sure we'll bother with 5e stuff since we have our workaround already, but I totally get why they want to tap that market.
Not all who wander are lost....

Hafficci

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 13:07

I know a lot of folks won’t like this but with 5E being such a big share of the market this makes sense for Free League. Plus, it might expose people to their other games and settings.
This is something I can't stand with: what is the issue of expand what FL makes for TOR to D&D 5Ed?? We are a lot of people who use to play D&D and love the way Cubicle 7 first, and Fria Ligan now propose playing in Middle Earth (I love the visual concept Fria Ligan use for TOR), so... What is the point of all that criticism??!! Fria Ligan has stated several times so far that the releasing of the "new AiME" is not going to interfere with releasing for TOR 2nd Ed. Let's cheers about getting Middle-Earth to the most people possible, instead of complaining!! ;)

I'll be waiting for news about the Preorder!!

Lormin

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 14:49

I know a lot of folks won’t like this but with 5E being such a big share of the market this makes sense for Free League. Plus, it might expose people to their other games and settings.
This is something I can't stand with: what is the issue of expand what FL makes for TOR to D&D 5Ed?? We are a lot of people who use to play D&D and love the way Cubicle 7 first, and Fria Ligan now propose playing in Middle Earth (I love the visual concept Fria Ligan use for TOR), so... What is the point of all that criticism??!! Fria Ligan has stated several times so far that the releasing of the "new AiME" is not going to interfere with releasing for TOR 2nd Ed. Let's cheers about getting Middle-Earth to the most people possible, instead of complaining!! ;)

I'll be waiting for news about the Preorder!!
Sadly there always was so much elitism and gatekeeping in the tolkien community. Always striking for some kind of intellectual "purity". For exemple, Jackson's movies are not pure enough, the new tv show isn't pure enough, hell even Christopher's silmarillon isn't pure enough to some of them. But this purity never existed: Tolkien contradicted himself all of the time and made changes all the time plus most of what got to us was also edited by Christopher, etc.

Hafficci

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 19:58

Sadly there always was so much elitism and gatekeeping in the tolkien community. Always striking for some kind of intellectual "purity". For exemple, Jackson's movies are not pure enough, the new tv show isn't pure enough, hell even Christopher's silmarillon isn't pure enough to some of them. But this purity never existed: Tolkien contradicted himself all of the time and made changes all the time plus most of what got to us was also edited by Christopher, etc.
Couldn't agree more.
Tolkien never finished anything he did, was always changing this and that (anyone who have read History of Middle-Earth know that so, why trying to be more Tolkienesque that Tolkien himself!!?? Let's enjoy whatever coming that mean Middle-Earth!! Or at least, let's wait to see what is coming before that huge criticism!! ;)

Redcoat

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 23:21

Hi everyone,
Just curious since I missed the opportunity to pick up the original Cubicle 7 products - just put it down to life stages...

Are the new Free league products reprints of the Cubicle 7 work or is it completely new material or a combination of both?

How does the Lord of the Rings 5e compare to Adventures in Middle Earth!

I now have both the TOR 2e and the 5e pdf

Cheers

BytomMan

Sat 05 Nov 2022, 06:25

Lord of the Rings 5E is not a reprint. It is a new adaptation of the One Ring 2nd Edition to the 5E rule set.

As far as compatibility, AiME is about as compatible as any other 5E product. You should be able to easily wing a conversion to the new system.
Hi everyone,
Just curious since I missed the opportunity to pick up the original Cubicle 7 products - just put it down to life stages...

Are the new Free league products reprints of the Cubicle 7 work or is it completely new material or a combination of both?

How does the Lord of the Rings 5e compare to Adventures in Middle Earth!

I now have both the TOR 2e and the 5e pdf

Cheers