Ponifex
Topic Author

Increasing Attributes

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 14:34

Hi Guys

I'm looking some clarification if you could,

looking at the fellowship phase and in particular how do you increase attributes?

Do skills and attributes cost the same amount?
What's the maximum an attribute can go to?
What does an attribute of 7 or 8 cost?

Thanks Ponifex

TherorSilverhelm

Re: Increasing Attributes

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 16:16

Hi,

So the section you are looking for is on page 119 of the Core Rulebook, under Step 3: Perform Updates.

There is a table with the experience point cost to advance a rank in a skill or combat proficiency, or to gain a rank in Valour or Wisdom.

As a quick summary, skill points are used to advance ranks in skills, whilst adventure points are used to advance ranks in combat proficiencies, Valour and Wisdom.

It is the same cost to advance a rank in a skill or combat proficiency, just as it is the same cost to advance Valour or Wisdom.

Skills, combat proficiencies, Valour and Wisdom are all capped at a maximum of 6.

Hope this helps.

Edited to better answer the question.

Harlath

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 19:07

Alongside the helpful information above, I thought I should add that you generally don't raise attributes in TOR 2e.

Instead, you can get some of the benefits of a higher attribute via a Virtue:

- Take Prowess to lower the TN for an attribute by 1 (but not getting the other benefits of a higher attribute, such as a higher Heavy Blow damage bonus, increased Hope recovery or better parry).
- Take Nimbleness to get part of the benefit of a Higher Wits by boosting your parry, but without lowering the attribute TN.
- Take Heavy Blow to get a higher Heavy Blow damage bonus, but without lowering your Strength Attribute TN.

Rafamir

Sat 27 Aug 2022, 17:39

- Take Heavy Blow to get a higher Heavy Blow damage bonus, but without lowering your Strength Attribute TN.
Do you mean the Dour-handed virtue here?

The inability to increase Attributes means it's a big deal for cultures that offer an Attribute boost at Character Creation: Rangers of the North and High Elves of Rivendell both have Cultural Blessings that grant a 1 point boost to one Attribute.

Harlath

Sat 27 Aug 2022, 18:47

Whoops, I do mean dour handed there. :)