shane18
Topic Author

Portal spell... thoughts?

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 17:06

Hello friends.
I really enjoy the "open to interpretation" design this game offers. The Portal spell is my current focus. I have been considering a couple of different design options for this spell and would love to hear what others think. I'm not looking to homebrew a new or different mechanic here, but focus on the interpretation and flavor/ design.

This portion of the spell specifically- "This powerful ritual tears a hole in the veil between worlds and opens a path between them." (p 133)

Flavor option 1- (The portal is the path) You enter a different world.
Similar to Minecraft... a portal takes you directly to the Nether. In Forbidden Lands, you'd go directly to a related or connected world where "all sorts of demons and other malevolent creatures" would be present. How this "other side" looks is entirely up to the GM/ group of players, etc. This flavor design seems similar to Zygofer/ Zytera's protnexus in the Shadow Gate pass. (Obviously different, but some similarities).

Flavor option 2- (The portal leads to the path) You enter an in-between realm, or an actual place that is a "path between worlds."
Similar to the Neitherlands in Lev Grossman's novels. (The Magicians, Magician King, and Magician Lands). In Grossman's books, this is described as a place that's neither here nor there (hence the Neitherlands). You leave earth, and then the characters find numerous fountains allowing access to other worlds.
The Forbidden Lands application here would look different, and the mechanic written into the spell description would still function (portal from one end of the map to the other), but this option just makes me wonder. Do demons and other creatures find themselves in-between worlds? Is this a chaotic abyss-like place where you really don't know what you'll find? Portal traveling from one end of the map to the other is really convenient... but risky due to what might be encountered on the other side (on top of the mishap chances). Other worlds (realms) an option at your table?

I really enjoy the way this game allows you and your table to decide things like this. I also enjoy hearing ideas from others on this forum. How do you play this spell at your table?

Happy gaming all.
:-)