timbolton
Topic Author

Saul Zaentz Company selling Middle-earth Enterprises to the Embracer Group

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 12:12

Hi, news this morning that the Saul Zaentz Company have agreed to selling Middle-earth Enterprises to the Embracer Group (via the subsidiary Embracer Freemode).
Before you start panic mode, it appears that M-e E will remain independent and continue with its licensees. The idea is to expand the license.
The Embracer Group also bought Asmodee earlier this year.

Press release here: https://embracer.com/release/embracer-g ... r-tolkien/

I am writing some thoughts about the content of that press release, will post when I can.
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

MeatVoltron

Re: Saul Zaentz Company selling Middle-earth Enterprises to the Embracer Group

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 18:46

I was curious about how this might work out. While it wasn't a thorough read through, I did look through the Embracer Group list of companies and noticed Asmodee may be the only potential company that could produce a TTRPG. I admit that I am quite ignorant of what has happened since Asmodee acquired Fantasy Flight. Overall, I love this ruleset and look forward to watching it thrive.

BytomMan

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 22:32

Hopefully the existing licensing agreement with Sophisticated Games is honored and we continue to get The One Ring RPG for the foreseeable future.

Niallism

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 02:07

These kind of fractionally-divided IP sales are never reported on fully, partly because they're complex and boring, and partly because nobody knows the true details except possibly the lawyers involved. Or the interns they got to draw up the contracts, some of whom are, presumably, paid.

But they don't affect pre-existing contracts. This shouldn't affect the TOR that we have at all.

BytomMan

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 19:20

Hopefully the existing contract for TOR is for many, many years! :)

brumcg

Sun 21 Aug 2022, 20:52

I'm holding out hope that this shift might open the door for an official VTT implementation. Fingers crossed.