Vader

Re: Future licensed games?

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 10:42

Or how about Stargate / SG1 / Atlantis / Universe?

Stargate SG1 is already a licensed game.

Bunnies and Burrows never was a good Watership Down game. It was more like a run-of-the mill fantasy game, with characters in rabbit costumes.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

ExileInParadise

Fri 22 Jul 2022, 00:41

DV> Stargate SG1 is already a licensed game.

Wow, so it is - did not know Modihphius had picked it up.

Thanks for that! I have an email to send to a bigtime Stargate fan.

DV> Bunnies and Burrows never was a good Watership Down game. It was more like a run-of-the mill fantasy game, with characters in rabbit costumes.

Oooof. I will take your word for that one.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Vader

Fri 22 Jul 2022, 02:09

DV> Stargate SG1 is already a licensed game.

Wow, so it is - did not know Modihphius had picked it up.

Umm … nope. Not Mōidiphüs — it’s a company called Wyvern Gaming that publishes it.

Mōdiphiüs retails it on their website, though; just like they do several of Ligan’s titles.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Vader

Fri 22 Jul 2022, 03:01

Much in the same way when Bruce Sterling coined the word cyberpunk, he was immediately assigning it to Gibson and Bladerunner eventually gets put under it's heading (though folks would more accurately describe it as a precursor to Cyberpunk).

Only he didn’t, I believe.

The term was originally coined by a fellow named Bruce Bethke, in the title of a story published in Amazing Stories in 1983. After Neuromancer in 1984, Asimov used it in editorials, at which point its use as a genre designation got cemented.
Sterling joined that designation a bit later.

To not reiterate too much of what already has been said elsewhere, I’ll refer to a fairly extensive discussion we had earlier, on the genesis of Cyberpunk as a genre and its relation to Blade Runner:

https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?p=71258#p71258

Vader

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 21:34

Stranger Things is already a D20 5E game - no need for that on YZE […]

It is not.

Hasbro and WOTC released a Stranger Things-branded version of the D&D 5E Starter Set, with included adventure and pregens purporting to recreate the AD&D adventure that the character Mike runs for his mates in the first series.

Apart from the severely misleading box art and included “demigorgon” miniatures, it makes no explicit claim to be a de facto Stranger Things RPG.
Which, indeed, it isn’t.

Rather, what people seem to point to for a “Stranger Things-like” RPG experience is Loop, which kind of paints the “need for that in YZE” in bright neon — that Ligan probably would be the proper people to make an actual Stranger Things TTRPG, should such an animal need to see light of day someday.

Just sayin’.

Vader

Fri 12 Aug 2022, 21:27

Now, for a game that probably does have an audience these days, why not Eclipse Phase on YZE

Why not ... but otoh, why?

The game that currently is in print (and has been for the last three or four years) rather ought to satisfy the audience the game undoubtedly does have these days, oughtn’t it?

Why does Eclipse Phase in your opinion also need a YZE edition?

TwiceBorn

Wed 07 Sep 2022, 12:02

I would love to see Free League put out a licensed Mad Max RPG. Yes, I know, MYZ is already post-apocalyptic, but something set in the Mad Max universe (with Free League's incredible art) would probably be an easier sell for my players. I'll let the company decide what system would work best for it.

That's pretty much the only remaining property that would be an insta-buy for me.

Byrax

Wed 07 Sep 2022, 17:43

I would love to see FLs take on Valerian as a rpg.

Midnightplat

Wed 07 Sep 2022, 18:29

I would love to see Free League put out a licensed Mad Max RPG. Yes, I know, MYZ is already post-apocalyptic, but something set in the Mad Max universe (with Free League's incredible art) would probably be an easier sell for my players. I'll let the company decide what system would work best for it.

That's pretty much the only remaining property that would be an insta-buy for me.
Has there ever been a Mad Max game? I'm sort of surprised. Back in the original trilogy's day, post apocalyptic TTRPG was definitely a popular genre, though I think most licensed film properties were largely US MPAA rated "PG" films as opposed to R, and so maybe there was some resistance.

That said, I think Mad Max would be easily adapted from the existing T2K rules with a revision or expansion for high speed vehicular combat (and maybe fudge up the combat for more cinematic flare). You got the effects of radiation and famine already in that game. The original T2K had a supplement Howling Wilderness that definitely took the United States of T2K and put it on a Mad Max trajectory.

I remember people used to claim Car Wars was the Road Warrior, but tech levels were very different, though I remember Car Wars did eventually have a supplement for gas vehichles (Car Wars cars are presumptively electric) and I think another with more primitive weaponry and suspensions and chasis. Though there was a GURPS supplement for the world, Car Wars was really more a board game or cardboard "miniatures" game than TTRPG.

I forget what Austrialia's standing was in during the Twilight War. I think in the original, they're a presence among the functioning militaries in the Persian Gulf, and I want to say there was some sort of Pacific supplement for T2K but that might have been a fan product.

TwiceBorn

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 10:20

Has there ever been a Mad Max game? I'm sort of surprised. Back in the original trilogy's day, post apocalyptic TTRPG was definitely a popular genre, though I think most licensed film properties were largely US MPAA rated "PG" films as opposed to R, and so maybe there was some resistance.

That said, I think Mad Max would be easily adapted from the existing T2K rules with a revision or expansion for high speed vehicular combat (and maybe fudge up the combat for more cinematic flare). You got the effects of radiation and famine already in that game. The original T2K had a supplement Howling Wilderness that definitely took the United States of T2K and put it on a Mad Max trajectory.

I remember people used to claim Car Wars was the Road Warrior, but tech levels were very different, though I remember Car Wars did eventually have a supplement for gas vehichles (Car Wars cars are presumptively electric) and I think another with more primitive weaponry and suspensions and chasis. Though there was a GURPS supplement for the world, Car Wars was really more a board game or cardboard "miniatures" game than TTRPG.

I forget what Austrialia's standing was in during the Twilight War. I think in the original, they're a presence among the functioning militaries in the Persian Gulf, and I want to say there was some sort of Pacific supplement for T2K but that might have been a fan product.
To my knowledge, there has never been a Mad Max RPG. I used to play Car Wars back in the 80s, but as you said, that was closer to a board game than RPG.

From the reviews I've read, I suspected the T2K engine might be superior to YZ for a Mad Max RPG.

I don't own nor have I ever played T2K, and I must admit that the current situation in Ukraine makes the prospect of running T2K a little too depressing for me. Plus, I don't think a "modern day" military RPG would appeal to any of my friends/players, either. But if the system were adjusted to a slightly more distant (if equally disturbing) post-apocalyptic future, then I might be willing to give it a shot.