ripley
Topic Author

Do synthetics recognise other synthetics? (Chariot of the Gods spoilers)

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 11:55

I'm currently running Chariot of the Gods, and Cham (who is really Lucas) has found Ava. No other members of the crew are present. Does Ava automatically know that Cham is also a synthetic?

I can't see anything in the starter set rulebook that would suggest she does or doesn't, and obviously as the GM I could just choose to make the determination myself, but I wanted to check in case this is established canonically in the full rulebook.

From a story point of view, my hope is that Ava would immediately know Cham is a synthetic like her, perceive that he hides it to present as human, and so would offer to keep it as 'our little secret'. This would give her some leverage over him should it be required later in the game!

Angelman

Re: Do synthetics recognise other synthetics? (Chariot of the Gods spoilers)

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 12:48

The only "canon" reference that I have seen is in the Alien: Colony War novel.

spoiler

In that novel, two synthetics recognize each others' nature when they first meet. One is a secret synth and the other a talking-dog-synth (who is therefore obviously a synthetic), and it is entirely possible that the dog-synth recognizes the secret one due to its (supposed) hightened olfactory sensors. In any case, these two recognize one another before anyone else does.

Now, with Ava & Lucas, I would say that in ANY case, the "secret synthetic" should be able to conceal their synthetic nature from random synths it meets on the street. If not, then Lucas should've been uncovered at the first meeting with a fellow synth at a space station, or whatnot. So, I would here determine secret as the defining factor and rule that AVA does not automatically realize Lucas' nature. In other words, story requirements trumps general setting fluff every time...
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

ripley
Topic Author

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 13:14

That's a good point about Lucas's previous encounters with other synthetics, I hadn't considered that. It does seem unlikely that he'd be able to maintain his secret if he was immediately recognised for what he is every time he meets another one.

Given Ava's helpful nature I think she's extremely unlikely to need - or want - to blackmail 'Cham' anyway.

Thanks!

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 11 Aug 2022, 15:53

I think it's possible but it takes time. Lucas's first move would be to get rid of AVA in my opinion. I like the idea that synthetics can recognize other synthetics.

ripley
Topic Author

Mon 22 Aug 2022, 08:40

Lucas's first move would be to get rid of AVA in my opinion

That's pretty much exactly how it went down in our play through. Although Lucas's ambush of Ava was more opportunistic than planned, and nearly went off the rails when Ava turned out to be surprisingly strong!

Cyclic

Sun 28 Aug 2022, 03:22

Didn't David recognise Walter in Covenant?

Angelman

Sun 28 Aug 2022, 07:22

Didn't David recognise Walter in Covenant?
Well, they were twins, so... David knowing he was a synthetic made it a pretty likely that Walter was, too, right?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged