Kryptographicman
Topic Author

Ship Building

Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:14

I have a few questions about ship building.

Firstly, do the 3 main modules count towards the 20 modules in a Tier IV ship or are the 20 just additional modules?

I have a crew of 3 people, maybe 4 but he might drop. They wanna be explorers and archeologists.

They wanted a Tier IV. Is this too big for them?
In the 20 Modules they decided to take every existing module at least once.
They took Suit Cabins once because in Tier IV those are 5 rooms and coffin cabin once for other people who might fly with them.
They chose 2x cargo bay because they want space for stuff like salvaging ships and wanted 3 weapon modules.
In the VTT you can put quantity 3 in one weapon module which counts as 3 towards the 20, correct? The weapons themselves are in those 3 or do they take another slot? So are 3 weapons 3 slots or 6 slots?

Tomorrow we have our first game and we had sessions zero on Friday but now I fear we might have done something wrong. If the 3 core modules don't count to the 20 they still got 2 slots open (as long as we counted weapon system and weapons correctly with 3).

Pls help.. :(

Farydia

Re: Ship Building

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 21:56

To my understanding the 3 main modules count towards the 20 (so you have 17 to allocate as you please). Each weapon system counts as 1 slot. A class IV ship comes at a price of around 3 mio. birr - that's a steep debt to work off! Service is also going to be expensive. But I don't see anything apart from the high pressure to earn big money real soon keeping you from getting a class IV. Crew is listed as 5, so with 1 or 2 NPCs to man stations your players can't you should be ok.

BiobunkerVII

Thu 04 Aug 2022, 22:14

In the swedish version it clearly says it´s in addition to the 3 mandatory modules (bridge, reactor, graviton projector) every ship has a number of free modules, the number depends on the ships class. And then refers to the table. So I would say a class-4 can pick 20 free modules.

JohnK

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 21:33

Hullo, Kryptographicman,
I have a few questions about ship building.

Firstly, do the 3 main modules count towards the 20 modules in a Tier IV ship or are the 20 just additional modules?
Nope, the three Required modules (bridge, reactor, and graviton projector) do not count towards the Optional modules that a spaceship can have. This is noted in the definition of Modules in the text on page 141. Thus, on a Class III vessel, the ship can have 10 Optional modules in addition to the basic Required ones. On a Class IV ship, the vessel can have 20 Optional modules in addition to the basic, Required ones.

But bear on mind that each Optional module that the ship has adds to the overall cost of the vessel in question, and that will increase the Debt the characters owe on the ship itself. :)
I have a crew of 3 people, maybe 4 but he might drop. They wanna be explorers and archeologists.
Nothing wrong with that. :)
They wanted a Tier IV. Is this too big for them?
In the 20 Modules they decided to take every existing module at least once.
They took Suit Cabins once because in Tier IV those are 5 rooms and coffin cabin once for other people who might fly with them.
They chose 2x cargo bay because they want space for stuff like salvaging ships and wanted 3 weapon modules.
In the VTT you can put quantity 3 in one weapon module which counts as 3 towards the 20, correct? The weapons themselves are in those 3 or do they take another slot? So are 3 weapons 3 slots or 6 slots?
No, there's nothing wrong with taking a Class IV ship, even with just 3 or 4 player characters. It does mean that unless one or two of the characters double up on ship function/position (see page 170 for more on this), they'll need to take a Feature or two to cover this contingency. Or perhaps you as GM can create an extra one or two NPCs to cover those roles. :)

In terms of the Optional modules they chose for the ship, there's no right or wrong answer to be honest. It's all a matter of the preferences the players have for what they want on their ship.

In terms of the Suite vs. the Standard cabins, it's really a matter of taste and willingness to pay the extra 25,000 Birr.

Bear in mind the Class IV Cargo Holds can each take a max of 250 tons. The Salvage Station is a better bet for that, and allows the salvage of ships up to one Class below that of the ship. But the Salvage Station has a pretty huge cost in Birr, so...

As for the Weapon Systems, bear in mind that each Weapon System counts as a single Optional module. So if I want two Accelerator Cannons, an Ion Cannon, and Nuclear Mine, that's going to be four modules, as well as the cost for the weapons themselves (in the case of the mines). That's 4 modules of your 20 Optional modules, just for the weapons alone.
Tomorrow we have our first game and we had sessions zero on Friday but now I fear we might have done something wrong. If the 3 core modules don't count to the 20 they still got 2 slots open (as long as we counted weapon system and weapons correctly with 3).
Would love to know how the game is going, and what happened... Have you posted stuff about the game anywhere on-line? :)
Pls help.. :(
Sorry for the (extremely) late reply. Hope this was of some use to you. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com