Angelman
Topic Author

Suggested Optional Rule: Community XP Donations

Thu 28 Jul 2022, 14:03

Hey, all!

So, I’m perhaps 1/3 into my second Alien RPG campaign (Frontier War expanded with side missions and some prequel sessions), and I find that I have a small issue with the rules as written: my players’ characters are advancing at a mad speed!

Now, PC power creep isn’t that much of a problem in horror games like Alien RPG, but I would still like to discuss some ways of addressing it. Let’s break it down.

On average, my players generate about 3-5 XP every session (2-4 for non-combat sessions), and as we are now 13 sessions into the campaign that means they’ve made about 9 advancements each at this point, 1/3 into the campaign. Let’s say the campaign lasts 36 sessions that equals to about 25 advancements (assuming an average of 3.5 XP per session), enough to max out several skills and buy into handfuls of talents. Again, maybe not the greatest of problems in a xeno game, but still…

So, here’s what I’m considering.

The Optional Rule – XP Donations
Whenever a PC gains more than 5 XP, before spending XP to advance themselves, they must donate all surplus XP points (i.e., anything above 5) to an NPC in their group who partook in the last session.

Of course, I fully recognize that some players and groups would absolutely HATE this, but for groups (like mine) interested in their NPC buddies, this is intended to give the players some agency in the NPCs development. It should work best for combat bands (CM sections) and ship crews, and less well for smaller investigator (colonial marshal) teams. Also, should a player’s character bite the dust and require a replacement, they could chose to pick up one of the more experienced NPCs in the band.

This system will ensure that the PCs advance only every other session. (At present, due to the PCs stacking up “reserve”/surplus XP between advancements, they tend to advance after ever 4 out of 5 sessions, or thereabouts). This would limit them to 18 advancements in a 36 session campaign, rather than the 25 calculated above. 18 advancements is still A LOT of skills and talents, though.

Thoughts? Perhaps I just need to stop padding my campaigns with side missions? :roll:
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

AlienMobius

Re: Suggested Optional Rule: Community XP Donations

Thu 28 Jul 2022, 19:49

Sometimes, the easiest solutions is to look into the Year Zero Engine SRD or any of the other Year Zero Engine implementation.

As such, the skill leveling rules are quite different than ARPG

SPENDING XP
You can use your XP to improve your skills and talents, or to learn new ones. You can only spend XP when your PC gets a chance to rest, or between game sessions.
Skills: To increase a skill level by one step costs a number of XP equal to the skill level you want to attain multiplied by 5. For example, an increase from skill level 2 to 3 costs 15 XP. You can only increase a skill level one step at a time.

Hopefully, this is an alternative solution that fix your problem.

Angelman
Topic Author

Re: Suggested Optional Rule: Community XP Donations

Fri 29 Jul 2022, 00:13

Sometimes, the easiest solutions is to look into the Year Zero Engine SRD or any of the other Year Zero Engine implementation.

As such, the skill leveling rules are quite different than ARPG

SPENDING XP
You can use your XP to improve your skills and talents, or to learn new ones. You can only spend XP when your PC gets a chance to rest, or between game sessions.
Skills: To increase a skill level by one step costs a number of XP equal to the skill level you want to attain multiplied by 5. For example, an increase from skill level 2 to 3 costs 15 XP. You can only increase a skill level one step at a time.

Hopefully, this is an alternative solution that fix your problem.
Yeah, that is a MUCH stingier XP cost, and more in line with most games we play. I guess FL figured that Alien RPG is so deadly one has to give the players a break and let them advance almost every session ;)

I still like the idea of the PCs investing in their NPC comrades, though.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged