Angelman

Re: Alien: Colony War

Sat 23 Jul 2022, 15:25

fun surprise ... to find ... Charybdis had RPG scenarios tucked away in the back
Really? I wasn't aware that Into Charybdis had a scenario. What is it called?
I must have been thinking of something else. I could have sworn it had one but I just checked and Into Charybdis definitely does not have a scenario at the back. Sorry about that.
You were probably mixing Into Charybdis up with Inferno's Fall? :) That one is going to have a scenario on the back, at least.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

ExileInParadise

Mon 25 Jul 2022, 05:04

<spoilers>
Inferno's Fall will release August 9th according to Amazon:
[i]A gargantuan, horseshoe-shaped ship appears over the mining planet Shānmén, unleashing a black rain of death that creates Xenomorph-like monsters worse than the darkest of nightmares.

As war breaks out among the colonies, a huge ship appears over the UPP mining planet Shānmén, unleashing a black rain of death that yields hideous transformations. Rescue is too far away, and the colonists’ only hope appears in the form of the vessel Righteous Fury. It carries the Jackals—an elite mix of former Colonial Marines and Royal Marines. Led by Zula Hendricks, the Jackals seek to rescue the few survivors from the depths of the planet, but have they arrived time?

BONUS MATERIAL: Exclusive to this book, a new RPG scenario from Free League, publishers of the award-winning Alien role-playing game.
[/i]
According to Andrew Gaska's canon list, it will have the RPG scenario EVAC:
https://roguereviewer.wordpress.com/202 ... ien-world/
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Mon 25 Jul 2022, 22:24

I hope it's better than Colony War! It sounds pretty good.

ExileInParadise

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 00:09

Heh, I'll find out when it gets delivered.

UPDATE: Amazon says the date has moved from 9th to 11th...

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 19:35

Weird, mine still says the 9th.

MutantFromMars

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 22:48

Mine would have turned up today, but the Amazon driver failed his ComTech roll and couldn't work the intercom, so I guess it'll be tomorrow. They've definitely shipped it in the UK though.

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Wed 27 Jul 2022, 02:07

Is anyone else getting the Vasquez novel this year?
I don't expect it to be good, especially since I don't see how there can be Xenos in it, but I'm still going to read it. I read Bug Hunt, and 80% of those stories were the worst, so we'll see how this rates.

MutantFromMars

Wed 27 Jul 2022, 15:19

Yeah, I have it on pre-order - the current comics run has been decent and she got an honourable mention in Aftermath, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Inferno's Fall just turned up too, EVAC looks a bit shorter in page count than FALLOUT, but its nice to have these at the end of the novels.

ExileInParadise

Thu 28 Jul 2022, 00:45

Agreed - I think having a novel with RPG tie-in is fantastic.

The approach to make the RPG part follow up - effectively turning the entire novel into the 'intro story' works well for me.

When running RPGs, "what happens next?" is the key to "playing to play again" and the novel + RPG format works right into that.

I hope these are successful enough to keep going beyond the initial planned set.

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Thu 28 Jul 2022, 06:32

Agreed on novel to RPG tie-ins being cool. Let's hope that this one is more readable, with 100% less android dogs licking balls jokes.