- dagger stats.
- load 1 to reduce everyone flinging daggers.
- like your “use a separate skill” idea, again reduces risk of everyone chucking daggers around. Or maybe a virtue for using Brawling at full combat proficiency rather than -1D alongside some other small boost.
- feel appropriate to setting’s inspirations and technology level even if I can’t remember a canon example. Away in France, may well be some. And think these fit the setting even without a canon example.
- Don’t want to step on toes of spears, as part of the special nature of them is their versatility: one skill covers ranged and melee.
- Naturally only one use in opening volleys given range, whereas Bows will often get two or more shots in opening volleys.
- We could build on the cultural reward idea in the core rulebook, showcased by the archet bow. That way we pay a “reward tax” which helps with balance relative to spears. Perhaps with cool ways of unlocking it: prove yourself to the folk that use it, or win one in battle?
- I think Dunland raiders with throwing axes fit well: might be a signature of a particular tribe or region? Or maybe of a specific Beorning tribe. I considered woodmen as they use axes, but they’re noted bow users.