ckosacranoid
Topic Author

Group moral.

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 21:39

I was rereading the book and this was not making much sense for what you use the groups moral standing for during a game?
I just tried looking and did not see anything in a search. Running a game on sat and wanted to get an answer.

Fenhorn

Re: Group moral.

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 22:20

I guess it is Unit Morale you mean. If it is, I think it is explained well on p.16 (basics), p.41 (how it changes) and on p.67 and p.77 (how it is used). But, what is it that doesn't make sense?

... or was it Moral Code you meant?
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

ckosacranoid
Topic Author

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 07:24

Thanks, it was not making much sense for what it was used for.

baldrick0712

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 09:08

Re. " Roll one base die for your current CUF rating and one for the current unit morale rating of your unit, if you have line of sight to any friendly fighters", just wondering how strictly or loosely people are interpreting the second part of the sentence. If the unit is in march column with one guy on point, does he get to roll the Unit Morale die even though he currently can't see any of his buddies without looking behind him? Does the mere existence of a Line of Sight to a friendly fighter count regardless of whether they can currently be seen?

Mahatatain

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 10:15

I've assumed that "Line of Sight" meant that the person rolling a CUF check is aware of an ally in reasonably close proximity. They don't need to be specifically looking at their ally and the ally can be hidden but the person rolling has to be aware of them.

Fenhorn

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 10:27

Characters are not static like plastic miniatures that are facing only direction. A character, normally, has line of sight in all directions unless it is blocked (p.60)

The Referee should also apply some common sense here, like two characters should be considered to have line of sight, for Unit Morale purposes even if one of them is currently hiding behind a wall.

Vader

Sat 23 Jul 2022, 17:44

Everybody probably already knows this and we’re just dealing with typos here, but just to make absolutely sure, clarifying the difference:

moral [emphasis on 1st syllable] — ethical, as in “moral code”

morale [emphasis on 2nd syllable] — unit cohesion; “fighting spirit”
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

silverfoxdmt73

Thu 13 Oct 2022, 15:22

Unit Morale is based off the highest Command skill in the group, but what happens if nobody has the skill? I've got a group of civilians and nobody has the skill, so what is the group's starting Unit Morale? Or do they not get one?

Fenhorn

Thu 13 Oct 2022, 15:44

Unit Morale is based off the highest Command skill in the group, but what happens if nobody has the skill? I've got a group of civilians and nobody has the skill, so what is the group's starting Unit Morale? Or do they not get one?
Skills have Skill Level F (i.e. no dice)

p.41
The unit morale can never go below F and never above A.
So, yes you can have F in Unit Morale.

silverfoxdmt73

Thu 13 Oct 2022, 16:14

Skills have Skill Level F (i.e. no dice)

p.41
The unit morale can never go below F and never above A.
So, yes you can have F in Unit Morale.

Thanks for that...

On the subject of Morale advancement, can you increase that by more than one step at a time? From the way the section on Experience/Advancement reads it goes up one step at a time as a maximum provided one of the 4/5 events occur.