Ptimot
Topic Author

Endurance loss below 0 with one Wound

Tue 03 May 2022, 14:39

Hi All, quick rule confirmation.

My Ranger fought ruffians and dropped to below 0 endurance with one wound. He was solo and no First Aid was administered. Per my interpretation of the rules, he remains unconscious for the period of a long rest and then wakes up with a number of Endurance points equal to his STRENGTH score? Did I get this right?

Here’s how I got there:

1. CRB p 69: Endurance - Player-heroes whose Endurance is reduced to zero drop unconscious, and wake up after one hour with 1 Endurance point (unless they are also Wounded, see Wounds, page 101)
2. CRB p. 101 Wounds – As seen under Resting on page 71, Player-heroes whose Wounded box is checked recover Endurance slowly.
3. CRB p. 71 Prolonged Rest – Player-heroes taking a prolonged rest recover all lost Endurance points, or a number of Endurance points equal to their STRENGTH score if their Wounded box is checked.

Dunheved

Re: Endurance loss below 0 with one Wound

Tue 03 May 2022, 15:59

Reading just these pages (page 98 and 134 also describe Endurance losses, but don't apply here); I think you have it about right. (As a TOR1e person this is a shift in how Wounds and recovery is done, so I have to re-think a bit!)

I am not sure that with BOTH the "Wounded" & the "Unconscious/Zero Endurance" condition, the PC can only wake up after a prolonged rest. You could debate that the rules intend for the PC to wake up after 1 hour - i.e. the consequence of being Exhausted when dropping to Zero Endurance. ***
THEN the PC will see that they are in a bad way and (with some effort) crawl off to get under some sort of cover before taking that Prolonged rest. Even with an UN - treated Wound I think that getting a body under a blanket (avoid hypothermia) or out of the worst of the weather narrates as more likely to get some sort of chance to rest undisturbed. (Otherwise a passing carrion crow will take your eyes out !)
Then the PC rests overnight and gets merely their STRENGTH Rating of Endurance back: and they wake again with an UN - treated wound.

It feels like I am splitting hairs here, as doing it my way with a brief period of consciousness after 1 hour, the PC is still in the same state as you have suggested after the Prolonged Rest. EXCEPT at point *** above, your Weary PC might risk treating their wound with a Healing skill before they get under cover. The edge here is that after the Prolonged Rest, the PC is well on the way to having the opportunity to treat the Wound for a second time if the 1 hour attempt failed. If they have been unconscious all the way through then that's one less chance to Treat the Wound AND they are lying out i in the open exposed to any predator, and probably smelling nicely of blood as well.

Hope your Ranger is up & about soon.

miguelaco

Tue 03 May 2022, 20:02

I share your doubts since I think it's not clear in the rules. The misleading point seems to be in page 69, where it says:

Player-heroes whose Endurance is reduced to zero drop unconscious, and wake up after one hour with 1 Endurance point (unless they are also Wounded, see Wounds, page 101)

This is wrong because if you follow the RAW, it is as the OP described first, the only way to recover endurance while wounded is to take a prolonged rest. This also implies you wake from unconciousness after that.

And here is the inconsistency: first aid (HEAL doesn't help here as it does not make you recover any endurance (it only reduces the wound severity), whereas if you're dying, a successful healing roll wakes you after 1 hour at 1 endurance.

I think this should be addressed as it is not clear and leads to situations where it's actually easier to recover consciousness while dying, than wounded at 0 endurance. Of course, if you disregard the part that says "unless they are also Wounded, see Wounds, page 101", then it works, as when you're wounded at 0 endurance you wake after 1 hour without any treatment needed.

Leuwart

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 21:50

Natural recovery
A wounded PH recovers Endurance much slower than an unwounded PH. A wounded PH needs a prolonged rest to get the same result (recovering Strength rating Endurance) as an unwounded PH after a short rest.

An unwounded PH needs 1 hour (= short rest) to awake at 1 Endurance. So I think a wounded PH will need a prolonged rest to awake at 1 Endurance.

The problem with Healing
Rescuing a dying PH will bring him back after 1 hour at 1 Endurance. I would suggest that you can bring any unconcious PH back with a successful Healing roll. This roll can be a First Aid but doesn't have to be (if you have done First Aid successfully before or if treated PH is not wounded).