silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Adapting to a more modern/future game.

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 00:12

I have just recently purchased T2K for the first time (i.e. Never played any older editions) and was wondering if anyone had adapted the rules for use in a modern or slightly more futuristic game setting? I'd be interested to know if anyone had given more modern fighting vehicles T2K stats or even thought of using the system to design powered armour or 'mech suits and the like?

baldrick0712

Re: Adapting to a more modern/future game.

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 11:17

Not considered Mechs but updating to a modern-day rather than a Y2K WWIII setting should be relatively easy. Contrary to popular belief, weapon systems in use today are often very old. The US still uses the M2 "Ma Deuce" .50 calibre heavy machinegun that was originally adopted in the 1930s. Russia is still using T-72s and BMP-3s in Ukraine right now. Britain is only now beginning to replace its fleet of Warrior tracked IFVs with the Boxer wheeled IFV. Anything not listed could easily be cobbled together with information from the internet.

A good starting point...

Wikipedia List of Modern AFVs

For example. T2K4 has the BTR-80 already. You could easily create stats for the BTR-82a by comparing the real-world stats here...

BTR-80a

BTR-82

At first glance you would just need to make it a bit faster and give it maybe 1 extra point of armour.

Vcutter

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 14:18

Like Baldrick mentioned, the actual weapons used in the modern battlefield are surprisingly the same that they were about 20 years ago.
One reason is that after the cold war military budgets were cut down due to "Soviet Union is now gone, there is no more need for war". Much could be said about that right now but hindsight is always 20-20...
That being said of course there are still technological advancements being made all the time.
However gamewise when it comes to Fria Ligans 4e of Twilight: 2000, you will notice that the granularity of the system is such that the actual make and type and model of the assault rifle does not make much difference. And to be honest even in real life the most modern versions of AK or M4 are not that different from AK 47 or the famous M16. Yes there are differences but if the caliber is same then in TW:2000 terms the stats are pretty much the same. A rifle is a rifle. Main difference would probably be the weight due to more modern materials and design solutions.

There are some modern innovations on the battlefield that are imo significant enough to warrant some rules gamewise: "red dot" etc. small optical sights (there are rules for these in some of TW2000 community program products), drones have changed the observation capabilities of the individual soldier a lot but rules for them could easily be made from small hand held variants all the way to those capable of doing air strikes. Those two come to mind at first.

Which brings me to the one thing that you need to work out in detail when it comes to modern setting...
Is it going to be apocalyptic modern day nuclear war or just "modern warfare" type of thing? That makes a huge difference. The capabilities of modern satellites, surveillance aircraft, drones, military intelligence etc. affect things a lot. Are your players are going to be modern spec-ops units fighting against not so technologically advanced terrorists while having the capabilities of a superpower behind them? Or are they fighting in a WW3 setting where most of that technological edge has been blown to hell with no comms and little to no advanced portable gear available?

That will matter way more than "should my SIG MCX SPEAR RoF be 5 or 6?"

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 17:42

Thanks Vcutter & baldrick.

Both make good points. I guess I'll have to think a little deeper about exactly what setting I want to cover. I understand the points about stats etc.. I guess it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a few minor stat changes to reflect some of the gradual improvements (or at least differences) in 'next gen' vehicles.

I want something that would reflect a similar level of conflict, but maybe one that didn't have tac-nukes and the fall of the Soviet Union as a backdrop, maybe something that happens in the near future (though without wanting to too closely resemble the current conflict in Ukraine. Perhaps, some form of pandemic, but again, I don't want it to lean too heavily on the real life suffering going on currently.

I was thinking that drones and sattelite capabilities could play a big part of the build-up to 'missions', perhaps some Intel gathering phase of the game that could have an impact on how easy it would be to have the players complete their objectives, or not, depending on how well they did in that preceeding phase of the game.

Anyhow, thanks for both your comments, it's given me food for thought.

baldrick0712

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 17:48

There are some modern innovations on the battlefield that are imo significant enough to warrant some rules gamewise: "red dot" etc. small optical sights (there are rules for these in some of TW2000 community program products).
Red dot sights are a form of reflex sight that allow the shooter to rapidly acquire a target, most typically in a close quarters engagement. Some rules for them are in this community program product, which I own and can highly recommend. It has some more recent weapons as well.

Service Rifles of Europe and North America

paladin2019

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 19:08

(Paraphrased) though without wanting to too closely resemble current conflicts

And there's the rub. Unless you have something like a series of raids against "terrorists," this is how modern conflicts will evolve. One state trying to use 17th century solutions to 21st century conflicts. T2k has always had this approach to the how the Twilight War starts. You can just have the belligerent powers realize what a bad idea it is to escalate to nuclear responses.

baldrick0712

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 21:00

So you want something similar in scale to the Twilight War set in the present day that doesn't go nuclear and isn't too close for comfort to the Russo-Ukraine War, possibly with a Pandemic backstory? That's going to be a tough one. Some sort of new major conflict in the Middle-East is about all I can think of, possibly starting after a terror attack involving a weaponised virus.

[EDIT] Another option that is probably a bit too unlikely to believe: American Civil War 2.0.

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Sun 03 Jul 2022, 23:42

Maybe not that unbelievable ;)

Possibly middle -east influenced conflict...

baldrick0712

Thu 07 Jul 2022, 19:41

A cool way to generate a backstory might be to play this game...

Labyrinth: The War on Terror

You can also play the digital edition on Steam.

It basically starts in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 but follows an alternate history depending on the cards that fall and the strategy used. I've seen Pakistan go Islamist and the Pakistani Nuclear Arsenal used to nuke an allied country, US troops fighting Jihadists in Algeria/Tunisia, Indonesia, etc. It's good at creating "what if" scenarios.

ckosacranoid

Sat 09 Jul 2022, 08:43

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/38 ... -Gear-Book

Something that has some more up to date stuff and things that where newer for ideas.