CitizenZero

Re: Why only a Blade Runner character

Fri 24 Jun 2022, 12:17

Fair.

Grimmshade

Fri 24 Jun 2022, 14:29

Chinyen is a bit like Cthulhu's Credit Rating system. It represents "any savings you might have managed to scrape together during your career." You can get more from selling things, case files, or pushing for a pay raise. You can also get one per Case File with the Cashflow Specialty.
Private purchases are made with a Chinyen expenditure and Connections roll. This is separate from the Black Market. (p.204)

This system adds to the noir atmosphere in my opinion. Philip Marlowe wasn't rolling in wealth, buying whatever he wanted all the time. Chinyen can be great motivator for all the gray areas a noir story should go.

Vader

Mon 27 Jun 2022, 14:36

Slightly off topic perhaps, but while on the subject of widening the scope of gameplay beyond strictly playing Bladerunners strictly in 2037 strictly Investigating Case Files:

When Ligan releases expansion modules with more characters and play styles, it would be interesting if we also at some point could see the world expanded into the years 2019 and 2047, or — perhaps better yet — provide a more detailed historical timeline 2019-2047 that allows player groups to pick whichever time period they like.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

CitizenZero

Mon 27 Jun 2022, 15:08

In that vein, I'm hoping to run a homebrew campaign which starts in 2037 and runs to 2049 with the idea being: can the PC, over the course of a dozen (in-game) years, bring down Wallace Corp before it gets too big and powerful.

As you suggest, would be great to have a timeline with things like: 2034 Joshi promoted to Blade Runner. 2044 K brought online. Etc.

Vader

Mon 27 Jun 2022, 16:38

In that vein, I'm hoping to run a homebrew campaign which starts in 2037 and runs to 2049 with the idea being: can the PC, over the course of a dozen (in-game) years, bring down Wallace Corp before it gets too big and powerful.

As you suggest, would be great to have a timeline with things like: 2034 Joshi promoted to Blade Runner. 2044 K brought online. Etc.

Sounds like a fantastic campaign idea!

Yes — a detailed timeline, just like what you say: pointing out milestones in the lives of "named" characters; pinning down dates for when changes in Replicant product lines, legislation, significant events occur; mapping out how LA changes over time with major events in economy, society, and technology; how population, demography, and urbanisation evolve over time...

Drawing a fairly detailed map over the evolution of one city over a 30-year period ought to still be a reasonably manageable task, one might hope.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Bengt Petter

Mon 27 Jun 2022, 17:51

You could expand on several aspects of the setting. I’d focus on the corrupt LAPD, both the presincts and the huge HQ. You could probably do a lot with that, no matter if you play as Bladerunners or not. Just fill the HQ with secrets, corruption and struggle for power. There is plenty of inspiration in the film noir genre.

As you probably remember, Wallace Corporation has an archive, visited by K in the second movie. The stuff you find there could be made into handouts. It could be used by all kinds of investigators - cops, private detectives, corporate spies, and/or replicant rebels. So imagine a handout supplement, perhaps involving some new neighbourhoods in L. A.

Grimmshade

Mon 27 Jun 2022, 19:17

A detailed timeline and the ability to easily tailor a scenario or campaign to any time between the films would be very cool.

CitizenZero

Mon 27 Jun 2022, 19:42

Bengt Petter

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 15:36

A detailed timeline and the ability to easily tailor a scenario or campaign to any time between the films would be very cool.

Well, you could also make the opposite claim: a very detailed timeline would make the Bladerunner canon too limited. It will be easier to play the game in the ”wrong” way. Does more canonized events make the setting more interesting? Maybe, if it’s done well. But I’d rather see other aspects developed. Such as various factions (LAPD, organized crime, corporations etc) or L.A. and it’s many neighbourhoods. Much of that can be developed with toolkits. Even timelines (for different aspects of the setting) could be done with toolkits. That would make the setting more optional. You make your own version of the setting instead of playing according to a very detailed canon.

Vader

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 16:03

Well, you could also make the opposite claim: a very detailed timeline would make the Bladerunner canon too limited. It will be easier to play the game in the ”wrong” way. Does more canonized events make the setting more interesting? Maybe, if it’s done well. But I’d rather see other aspects developed. Such as various factions (LAPD, organized crime, corporations etc) or L.A. and it’s many neighbourhoods. Much of that can be developed with toolkits. Even timelines (for different aspects of the setting) could be done with toolkits. That would make the setting more optional. You make your own version of the setting instead of playing according to a very detailed canon.

What is "canon" at your table is up to you alone. For instance, the way it's written at present, the canonical Blaster is a sniper rifle on top of a revolver. Like hell, at my table — not going to happen.

"Canon" as defined in any published game material is, to me, little more than a framework for GMs to build on, to get them thinking and getting their creative juices flowing. When you agree with it, you can work within the framework; when it doesn't suit you, it still provides you with something to respond to in creating your own canon.

That said, sure — toolkits (depending on exactly what one means with the word) can be another great way to provide GMs with a framework to support their imaginations.

The more the game makes sense out-of-the-box; the better it can support my vision, the better — the less I need to home brew, the happier I'll be all around.