Alchemist
Topic Author

Grappling Nitpick

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 09:33

Does it bother anyone else that the prerequisite for grappling (page 67) requires you to be unarmed? I mean, if we are thinking about this logically within just the Blade Runner universe, Dave Batista in 2049 initiates a grapple with a scalpel in-hand. Also, grappling as written is a bit strange in that you immediately fall to the ground (using the same Blade Runner example, Batista is quite literally in a standing grapple with Gosling until they destroy the wall). I guess it isn't something that requires a fix; I just don't like it. :ugeek:

Kaybe

Re: Grappling Nitpick

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 15:46

Every system looks at the meaning of grappling differently. For example, 5E treats grappling like it just prevents movement, but otherwise allows any action. In Blade Runner, grappling is far stronger in that it effectively prevents them from doing anything at all AND drops their weapon. Note: It says *they* drop their weapon. Not you. Nothing says you can't let them go on your next turn, stand up, and then stab them with Advantage. Or you could do an unarmed attack while still grappling them to damage them and you not only get advantage, but they also cannot defend against it.

Basically, grappling in this game is insanely strong.

Alchemist
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:06

Every system looks at the meaning of grappling differently. For example, 5E treats grappling like it just prevents movement, but otherwise allows any action. In Blade Runner, grappling is far stronger in that it effectively prevents them from doing anything at all AND drops their weapon. Note: It says *they* drop their weapon. Not you. Nothing says you can't let them go on your next turn, stand up, and then stab them with Advantage. Or you could do an unarmed attack while still grappling them to damage them and you not only get advantage, but they also cannot defend against it.

Basically, grappling in this game is insanely strong.
BUT the prereq on the page prior says that you have to be unarmed to initiate a grapple, so you wouldn't be holding a weapon to begin with.

Kaybe

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:10

BUT the prereq on the page prior says that you have to be unarmed to initiate a grapple, so you wouldn't be holding a weapon to begin with.
Where do you see that? It just says it's an unarmed attack. Not that you have to be unarmed. If you're holding a katana but on your turn choose to kick someone instead, that's an unarmed attack. You haven't let go of your weapon.

Alchemist
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:31

I mean, I could nitpick the hell out of this. Maybe, I want to take a human shield while holding a gun. That's, technically, a standing grapple with a weapon. And to your point, I haven't seen a great grapple system in a tabletop game yet that I think absolutely nails it, except maybe Shadowrun 4e's subduing and wrestling rules but convoluted because...Shadowrun. I applaud Free Leagues attempt to keep it simple, but maybe just give an advantage die to the person who has control in the grapple but still treat it like normal close combat.

Alchemist
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:33

Where do you see that? It just says it's an unarmed attack. Not that you have to be unarmed. If you're holding a katana but on your turn choose to kick someone instead, that's an unarmed attack. You haven't let go of your weapon.
Page 67 under combat actions. It shows the action, the prereq for the action, and then the modifying skill.

Kaybe

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:47

Page 67 under combat actions. It shows the action, the prereq for the action, and then the modifying skill.
Oh! Good catch! Perhaps a house ruling, to be fair, is that successfully grappling instead of causing damage results in both you and your opponent dropping their weapons. As opposed to you dropping your weapon first and potentially failing your Close Combat attack.
I mean, I could nitpick the hell out of this. Maybe, I want to take a human shield while holding a gun. That's, technically, a standing grapple with a weapon.
Unfortunately, the grappling rules in here explicitly state that both you and your opponent fall prone. Perhaps another house ruling is that the grappler can decide whether you're prone or still standing during that clinch. Alas, there is no human shield rule in here, lol.

Alchemist
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:59

YES, YOU'VE JOINED THE SIDE OF THE NITPICKS!! :lol: Anyway, yeah, not a fan of these rules as written for grapple.