Viper007
Topic Author

Armor & Secondary Damage

Wed 15 Jun 2022, 02:02

Good Day Ref's

Our group plays Twilight 2000 4E on Foundry and the players obtained a BTR-80 a few sessions back. Last session they were up against what they thought were Marauders holding an airfield while an old DC-3 was about to take off. In actual fact, the Marauders were a mixed Polish group defending the airfield so that the DC-3 could take off (it was loaded with children and the pilot). During the encounter, a Polish soldier threw an Anti-Tank Grenade at the BTR (rear hexside, BTR was pulling a trailer). The soldier was successful, and I ruled that the grenade hit the top armor of the BTR (after randomly rolling to see which was hit, the trailer or the BTR).

The grenade has a damage factor of 6 with a -1 to armor and the BTR has an armor factor of 4 in all areas, so the grenade penetrated with 3 factors left over, if I am correct on this. We understand the penetration/no penetration, but we all had different interpretations of the Secondary Damage. I rolled on the penetration table and got Fuel, but our question is about the excess of any damage, if any and how much damage can the fuel take (no limit listed). And where does that damage get listed on the Foundry BTR sheet? This caused other interesting questions of the other areas shown in the rules. Some were confusing?

If possible, could someone run us through some examples using the same factors, but different penetration rolls, so that we could understand this better?

Thanks in advance, Viper007

Fenhorn

Re: Armor & Secondary Damage

Wed 15 Jun 2022, 08:02

An Anti Tank grenade that hits a BTR from above with one success with do 6 damage, reduced by the modified top armor of the BTR (4-1) 3. So the damage done is 6-3 = 3. This is a penetration hit so we roll at the penetration table and we got 1, fuel. On the fuel component list we can read:
If the attack inflicts 1 point of damage or more, the tank will leak. The maximum fuel capacity is halved, until the damage is repaired. Any fuel currently in the tank in excess of the reduced capacity is immediately lost. Any excess damage continues to hit another component.
Since the damage is 1 point of more, the tank capacity is halved to 150 (normally 300 for a BTR-80). The fuel component hit also say that any excess damage continues (i.e. secondary damage), but this is can't happen since fuel is already #1 so you can't go up, so we skip that part. The component list also say:
Alos, if the damage was from an explosive attack, roll for the blast power as normal - if one or more 'Success' is rolled for the explosion the fuel tank catches fire <>.
An Anti Tank grenade has a blast of D, so we roll 2d6 to see if there is any explosion damage, if we roll a 'Success' (or two) the fuel tank will catch fire. Also any explosion damage inside a vehicle will damage all occupants. (see Explosive hits).

If we instead would have rolled Suspension, then each point of damage (3) reduces the reliability rating of the vehicle by 1, so if the reliability rating was 5, it is now 2.

Note that not all hits will reduce the reliability of the vehicle, the fuel tank hit doesn't for example.

In Foundry, you reduce reliability if that happens and you can check individuell components if they are broken or not.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Viper007
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 02:12

Thanks for the example. However, the Foundry vehicle sheets have a section for inner (Fuel, Engine, Suspension, Ammunition, Radio) and outer (Tracks/Wheels, Fire Control System [type], Antenna, Smoke Discharger, Has a Trailer) components. Each component has a checkbox, which I assume is whether the vehicle has the component or not. It also has a numerical entry box that is identified as "Quantity of damage dealt to this component".

Is this not used?
Thanks again for any information!

Fenhorn

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 05:29

The creator of the VTT can usually be found over at Year Zero Worlds discord so questions how he intended it to work is better asked there.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore