taffysaint
Topic Author

What are Creation Points?

Sat 11 Dec 2021, 05:11

Hi All,

Apologies for the n00b question but I have recently picked up Symbaroum and have a group of people who are keen to dive in, we have a session 0 in a few days and a question has come up about character creation:

On page 108 of the CRB, in the description of Traits it says "Some of the traits have only one level and come automatically with the selection of race, at no additional cost in creation points". I'm assuming this should be Experience Points, as creation points are not mentioned anywhere else in the book that I can see? Just want to make sure I haven't missed a key part of character creation?

Thanks!

MutantFromMars

Re: What are Creation Points?

Sat 11 Dec 2021, 15:41

I assumed it was just bad wording - if you read the whole paragraph it says "Some have only ONE LEVEL...no cost in creation points....others function and cost as abilities aside from the fact they are tied to a certain race. Such a trait is optional and the player decides whether or not to purchase it when creating the character."

So, taking Ogres for example - you get the Long-Lived and Pariah traits for free, but if you want to take the Robust trait, it counts as part of your abilities purchase as per the rules on page 8. (This isn't a cost based purchase as such, you can have 2 Novice and 1 Adept or 5 Novice, so your "purchase" comes from that selection.)

taffysaint
Topic Author

Sun 12 Dec 2021, 05:01

Thanks for the response, appreciate it. This makes sense to me, I'll go with that!

BytomMan

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 06:45

Are mystical powers equivalent to abilities. Do I have to learn a tradition and then spend xp on powers?

MutantFromMars

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 22:56

Basically, yes, but you can be an independent Mystic who follows their own (player created) beliefs (i.e. you don't have to buy a Tradition...)

The benefits of purchasing an established Tradition mostly lie in their various ways of dealing with Corruption, although you lose some of the freedom of choice in terms of Powers. As an Independent, you can purchase and use any Mystical Power, but you're on your own from there (and all of the Traditions frown on you and think you're dangerous...)

The Ritualist ability is available to both Traditional and Independent Mystics too, but Independents will always be penalised Corruption-wise because their rituals belong to one of the other Traditions in real terms (hence the note in the book that Independents don't tend to learn them....)